Full Specifications and Features
Full Specifications and Features
- Sensor Type
- 1.0"-type (13.2 mm x 8.8 mm) Exmor RS™ CMOS sensor, aspect ratio 3:2
- Number of Pixels (Effective)
- 20.1 MP
- Lens type
- ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* lens
- F-number (Maximum Aperture)
- F1.8 (W) - 2.8 (T)
- ND Filter
- Auto/On (3 steps)/Off
- Focal length (f=)
- Focal Length (f=) 35 mm format equivalent [Still Image 3:2] f= 24–70 mm [Still Image 16:9] f= 26–76 mm [Still Image 4:3] f= 25–73 mm [Still Image 1:1] f= 30.5–89 mm [Movie 16:9] f = 25.5–74 mm (SteadyShot Standard), f = 30–86 mm (SteadyShot Active), f = 33.5–95 mm (SteadyShot Intelligent Active) [Movie 4K 16:9] f = 28–80 mm (SteadyShot Standard), [HFR 960fps] f = 42–118 mm (Quality Priority), f = 60–170 mm (Shoot Time Priority) [HFR 480fps] f=28–80 mm (Quality Priority), f=42–118 mm (Shoot Time Priority) [HFR 240fps] f = 26–75 mm (Quality Priority), f = 28–80 mm (Shoot Time Priority)
- Focus Range (From the Front of the Lens)
- iAuto: AF (W: Approx. 5cm (0.17 ft.) to Infinity, T: Approx. 30cm (0.99 ft.) to Infinity) / Program Auto: AF (W: Approx. 5cm (0.17 ft.) to Infinity, T: Approx.30cm (0.99 ft.) to Infinity)
- Optical Zoom
- Clear Image Zoom (Still Image)
- Still Image: 20M Approx. 5.8x / 10M Approx. 8.2x / 5.0M Approx. 11x / VGA Approx. 44x
- Clear Image Zoom (Movie)
- 4K: Approx. 4.35x; HD: Approx. 5.8x
- Digital Zoom (Still Image)
- Up to 11x
- Digital Zoom (Movie)
- Aperture Type
- Iris diaphragm (7 blades)
- Digital Zoom
- [Still Image] 42M approx. 4x / 18M approx. 6.2x / 11M approx. 8x, [Movie] Approx. 4x
- Screen Type
- 7.5cm (3.0type) (4:3) / 1,228,800 dots / Xtra Fine / TFT LCD
- Brightness Control
- Manual (5 steps)/Sunny Weather
- Adjustable Angle
- Up: approx. 180 degrees, down: approx. 45 degrees
- Display Selector (Finder/Lcd)
- MS Assist Magnification
- 8.6x, 17.1x
- Field Coverage
- Approx. 0.59x with 50-mm lens at infinity, -1m-1 (diopter) (35 mm equiv.)
- Eye Point
- Approx. 20 mm from the eyepiece, 19.2 mm from the eyepiece frame at -1m-1 (diopter) (CIPA standard)
- Dioptre Adjustment
- -4.0 to +3.0 m-1
- 1.0 cm-type electronic viewfinder (OLED)
- Brightness Control
- Manual (5 steps)
- Image Processing Engine
- BIONZ X™
- [Still Image] Optical [Movie] Intelligent Active Mode, Optical type with electronic compensation (Anti Rolling type)
- Focus Mode
- Single-shot AF, Continuous AF, DMF, Manual Focus
- Focus Area
- Wide / Centre / Flexible Spot (S/M/L) / Expand Flexible Spot / Lock-on AF (Wide/Centre/Flexible Spot (S/M/L)/Expand Flexible Spot)
- LOCK ON AF
- Light Metering Mode
- Multi Pattern;Center Weighted;Spot
- Exposure Compensation
- +/- 3.0EV, 1/3EV step
- ISO Sensitivity (Still Image)(Recommended Exposure Index)
- Auto (ISO 125-12800, selectable with upper/ lower limit), 125 / 160 / 200 / 250 / 320 / 400 / 500 / 640 / 800 / 1000 / 1250 / 1600 / 2000 / 2500 / 3200 / 4000 / 5000 / 6400 / 8000 / 10000 / 12800 (Extendable to ISO80/100), Multi Frame NR: Auto (ISO 125–12800), 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600 / 3200 / 6400 / 12800 / 25600
- ISO Sensitivity (Movie)
- Auto (ISO 125–ISO 12800, selectable with upper/lower limit), 125/160/200/250/320/400/500/640/800/1000/1250/1600/2000/2500/3200/4000/5000/6400/8000/10000/12800
- Minimum Illumination (Movie)
- Auto: 1.2 lux (Shutter Speed 1/30")
- White Balance Modes
- Auto; Daylight; Shade; Cloudy; Incandescent; Fluor.: Warm White; Fluor.: Cool White; Fluor.: Day White; Fluor.: Daylight; Flash; C.Temp./Filter; Custom
- WB Micro Adjustment
- Shutter Speed
- iAuto (4"-1/2000)/Program Auto(30"-1/2000)/Manual (Bulb, 30"-1/2000)/Aperture Priority (30"-1/2000)/Shutter Priority (30"-1/2000)
- Electronic Shutter
- iAuto (4" - 1/32000) / Program Auto(30" - 1/32000) / Manual (30" - 1/32000) / Aperture Priority (30" - 1/32000) / Shutter Priority (30" - 1/32000)
- iAuto (F1.8/F11 (W) ) / Program Auto (F1.8/F11 (W) ) / Manual (F1.8/F11 (W) ) / Shutter Priority (F1.8/F11 (W) ) / Aperture Priority (F1.8/F11 (W) )
- Image Control
- Contrast, Saturation, Sharpness, Creative Style, Colour Space (sRGB/Adobe RGB), Quality (RAW / RAW & JPEG / Extra fine / Fine / Standard)
- Noise Reduction
- Long exposure NR: On/Off, available of shutter speeds longer than 1/3 s High ISO NR: Normal/Low/Off
- Dynamic Range Functions
- Off, Dynamic Range Optimizer (Auto/Level 1–5), Auto High Dynamic Range (Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure difference Level (1.0–6.0EV, 1.0EV step))
- Shooting Mode
- Intelligent Auto/Superior Auto; Program Auto; Aperture Priority; Shutter Speed Priority; Manual Exposure; MR (Memory Recall) 1,2,3; Movie Mode (Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Manual Exposure); HFR Mode (Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Manual Exposure); Panorama; Scene Selection
- Scene Selection
- Portrait; Sports Action; Macro; Landscape; Sunset; Night Scene; Handheld Twilight; Night Portrait; Anti Motion Blur; Pet Mode; Gourmet; Fireworks; High Sensitivity
- Continuous Shooting Speed (maximum) (with max. recording pixels)
- Speed Priority Continuous Shooting: approx. 16fps, Continuous Shooting: approx. 5.5fps
- 10 s. / 5 s / 2 s / 3 or 5 consecutive shots with 10 s 5 s or 2 s delay selectable / Bracketing shots with 10 s 5 s or 2 s delay selectable
- Drive Modes
- Single, Continuous shooting, Speed priority continuous shooting, Self-timer, Self-timer (cont.), Cont.-bracketing , Single-bracketing , White balance bracketing , DRO bracketing , LPF bracketing
- Panorama (Shooting)
- Sweep Panorama
- Picture Effect
- [Still Image] Toy Camera, Pop Colour, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Colour, High Contrast Mono., Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Monochrome, Miniature, Watercolour, Illustration [Movie] Toy camera, Pop Colour, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Colour, High Contrast Mono.
- Creative Style
- Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn Leaves, Black & White, Sepia, Style Box
- Picture Profile
- Off/PP1-PP7 (Black Level, Gamma (Movie, Still, Cine1-2, ITU709, ITU709 [800%], S-Log2), Black Gamma, Knee, Colour Mode, Colour Level, Colour Phase, Colour Depth, Detail, Copy, Reset)
- Auto Image Rotation
- Focus Type
- Contrast detection AF
- Number of Recognized Scenes
- [Still Image] Superior Auto: 44/iAuto: 33, [Movie] 44
- Minimum Illumination
- Movie: Auto: 1.2 lux (Shutter Speed 1/30)
- Exposure Control
- Flash Mode
- Auto / Flash On / Slow Synchro / Rear Sync / Flash Off
- Flash Type
- Built-in, manual pop-up
- Flash Range
- ISO Auto: Approx.0.4 m to 10.2 m (W) / Approx. 0.4 m to 6.5 m (T), ISO12800: up to Approx. 20.4 m (W) / Approx. 13.0 m (T)
- Compatible Recording Media
- Memory Stick™ Duo; Memory Stick PRO Duo™; Memory Stick PRO Duo™ (High Speed); Memory Stick PROHG Duo™; Memory Stick Micro™; Memory Stick XC-HG Duo; Memory Stick Micro (Mark2); SD Memory Card; SDHC Memory Card (UHS-I); SDXC Memory Card (UHS-I); microSD Memory Card ; microSDHC Memory Card ; microSDXC Memory Card
- Recording Format
- Still Image: JPEG (DCF Ver 2.0, Exif Ver 2.3, MPF Baseline compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 2.3 format); Movie: XAVG S, AVCHD format Ver.2.0 compatible MP4
- Recording Format (Movie Audio)
- XAVC S: LPCM 2ch/AVCHD: Dolby Digital® (AC-3) 2ch (Dolby Digital® Stereo Creator)/MP4: MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch
- Still Image Number of recorded pixels (Image Size)
- [16:9] 17M (5,472 x 3,080)/7.5M (3,648 x 2,056)/4.2M (2,720 x 1,528)
- Movie Recording Mode (NTSC)
- [NTSC] AVCHD: 28 M PS (1,920 x 1,080/60p) / 24 M FX (1,920 x 1,080/60i) / 17 M FH (1,920 x 1,080/60i) / 24 M FX (1,920 x 1,080/24p) / 17 M FH (1,920 x 1,080/24p), XAVC S 4K: 30p 100 M (3,840 x 2,160/30p) / 30p 60 M (3,840 x 2,160/30p) / 24p 100 M (3,840 x 2,160/24p) / 24p 60 M (3,840 x 2,160/24p), XAVC S HD:60p 50 M (1,920 x 1,080/60p) / 30p 50 M (1,920 x 1,080/30p) / 24p 50 M (1,920 x 1,080/24p) / 120p 100 M (1,920 x 1,080/120p) / 120p 60 M (1,920 x 1,080/120p), MP4: 28 M (1,920 x 1,080/60p) / 16 M (1,920 x 1,080/30p) / 6 M (1,280 x 720/30p)
- Movie Recording Mode (PAL)
- [PAL] mode AVCHD: 28 M PS (1,920 x 1,080/50p) / 24 M FX (1,920 x 1,080/50i) / 17 M FH (1,920 x 1,080/50i) / 24 M FX (1,920 x 1,080/25p) / 17 M FH (1,920 x 1,080/25p), XAVC S 4K: 25p 100 M (3,840 x 2,160/25p) / 25p 60 M(3,840 x 2,160/25p), XAVC S HD:50p 50 M (1,920 x 1,080/50p) / 25p 50 M(1,920 x 1,080/25p) / 100p 100 M (1,920 x 1,080/100p) / 100p 60 M (1,920 x 1,080/100p), MP4: 28 M (1,920 x 1,080/50p) / 16 M (1,920 x 1,080/25p) / 6 M (1,280 x 720/25p)
- NTSC/PAL Selector: [NTSC] mode XAVC S HD: 60p 50M (1920 x 1080/240fps), 60p 50M (1920 x 1080/480fps), 60p 50M (1920 x 1080/960fps) / 30p 50M (1920 x 1080/240fps), 30p 50M (1920 x 1080/480fps), 30p 50M (1920 x 1080/960fps) / 24p 50M (1920 x 1080/240fps), 24p 50M (1920 x 1080/480fps), 24p 50M (1920 x 1080/960fps), NTSC/PAL Selector: [PAL] mode XAVC S HD: 50p 50M (1920 x 1080/250fps), 50p 50M (1920 x 1080/500fps), 50p 50M (1920 x 1080/1000fps) / 25p 50M (1920 x 1080/250fps), 25p 50M (1920 x 1080/500fps), 25p 50M (1920 x 1080/1000fps)
- Still Image Resolution
- 3:2 mode: 20M (5,472 x 3,648)/10M (3,888 x 2,592)/5M (2,736 x 1,824), 4:3 mode: 18M (4,864 x 3,648)/10M (3,648 x 2,736)/5M (2,592 x 1,944)/VGA,16:9 mode: 17M (5,472 x 3,080)/7.5M (3,648 x 2,056)/4.2M (2,720 x 1,528),1:1 mode: 13M (3,648 x 3,648)/6.5M (2,544 x 2,544)/3.7M (1,920 x 1,920), Sweep Panorama: Wide (12,416 x 1,856/5,536 x 2,160), Standard (8,192 x 1,856/3,872 x 2,160)
- Input and Output Terminals
- Hi-Speed USB (USB2.0), Micro HDMI, Multi/Micro USB Terminal
- NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible, One-touch remote, One-touch sharing
- Yes(IEEE802.11b/g/n(2.4GHz band))
- Wireless Capabilities
- NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible, One-touch remote, One-touch sharing, Wi-Fi
- Power Source
- DC 3.6 V (supplied battery) / DC 5.0 V (supplied AC Adaptor)
- Battery System
- Power Consumption (Camera Mode)
- Approx. 1.9W with LCD monitor and approx. 2.3W with viewfinder (CIPA standard)
- USB Charge/USB Power Supply
- Yes (Shooting, Playback)
- Battery Life(Still Images)
- Still Images (CIPA) :Monitor: Approx. 280 / Approx. 140 min. Viewfinder: Approx. 230 / Approx. 115 min; Movies (actual shooting) : Monitor: Approx. 45 min., Viewfinder: Approx. 45 min. (In [MP4 28M] mode, max. continuous shooting time is approx. 20 min. and max. file size is 4 GB); Movies (continuous shooting) Monitor: Approx. 80 min. Viewfinder: Approx. 85 min. (In [MP4 28M] mode, max. continuous shooting time is approx. 20 min. and max. file size is 4 GB)
- Supplied Battery
- Rechargeable Battery Pack NP-BX1
- Shooting Functions
- Eye AF; Face Detection; Face Registration; Still Image Recording (during movie recording); Smile shutter; Grid Line; Quick Navi; Digital Level Gauge (pitch and roll); WB Bracket; DRO Bracketing; MF Assist; Peaking; Zebra; Marker Display; Micref Level; Step Zoom/Quick Zoom; Self-portrait timer; TC/UB; Photographer Name & Copyright; ISO Auto Minimum Shutter Speed; PC Remote Control
- Playback Functions
- BRAVIA® Sync (Control for HDMI); 9/25-frame index view; Auto Orientation; Slide Show; Forward/Rewind (Movie); Delete; Protect; Motion Shot Video; Beauty Effect; TRILUMINOS Colour; 4K image output
- Operating Temperature
- Approx. 0°C to 40°C (32°F to 104°F)
- Index Playback
- 9 / 25 images
- Playback Zoom
- Depends on Image Size
- Exif Print, PRINT Image Matching (PIM3)
Size & Weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D)
- 101.6 x 58.1 x 41.0 mm
- 271 g (Body only), 298 g (With battery and media)
What's In The Box
- Rechargeable Battery Pack NP-BX1
- AC AdaptorAC-UB10C/UB10D
- Micro USB cable
- Wrist Strap
- Strap adapter
- Instruction Manual
ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* lens for high depiction
Large-diameter ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar® T* 24–70 mm F1.8–2.8 lens allows wide-angle shooting out to 24 mm. Maximum aperture of F2.8 brightness at the telephoto end enables shooting images without camera shake and subject motion blur and capturing photos (such as portraits) with beautiful background defocusing. ZEISS® T* Coating reduces ghost and flare.
20.1 MP (effective) 1.0"-type Exmor RS™ CMOS sensor
The world's first 1.0"-type stacked CMOS image sensor with DRAM chip enables up to 40x super slow motion and up to 1/32000 super-high-speed shutter beyond human perception. The extended circuit features higher signal processing capacity and more than five times faster high-speed readout than conventional models.
BIONZ X™ for superior detail and texture
Digital cameras convert light captured by their sensor into digital images. Since the engine that powers conversion is as important as your lens and sensor, the RX100 IV features the high-speed BIONZ X™ processor for more natural details, more realistic images, richer tonal gradations, and lower noise while shooting photos and movies.
Super slow motion at maximum of 40x
Using the mode dial to select HFR, it's easy to create super slow motion movies containing split-second moments of action. Choose shooting frame rates of 960/1000fps, 480/500fps, or 240/250fps (NTSC/PAL), for the speed of a moving subject. Image quality is nearly Full HD at 240/250fps, and HD at 480/500fps in Quality Priority mode. The end trigger mode also enables you to capture 2 or 4 seconds before the MOVIE button is pressed, letting you capture the decisive moment.
1/32000 s Anti-Distortion Shutter
Up to 1/32000 s Anti-Distortion Shutter works to minimize image distortion caused by the rolling shutter phenomenon. The extraordinarily fast shutter speed also allows you to produce photos with background defocusing using a large aperture setting even under extremely bright conditions at a maximum of EV19 .
Up to 16fps continuous shooting with reduced blackout
Thanks to the new super-high-speed image sensor—and despite its 20.1 MP high pixel count—the camera features accelerated readout speed that helps achieve continuous shooting up to 16fps . This lets you capture moments of fleeting beauty or facial expressions.
Bright XGA OLED Tru-Finder™ for inspired shooting
High-contrast retractable electronic viewfinder (EVF) delivers high resolution equivalent to 2359k dots. Stunning resolution and self-illumination allow display of subtlest details for precise composition. EVF eyepiece optics are treated with ZEISS® T* Coating to reduce unwanted reflections for clear corner-to-corner visibility.
Control ring for advanced photography
Convenient lens-mounted control ring allows you to operate pro-style manual control such as selecting shutter speed, aperture, and more for added creative command—another feature making this camera an ideal choice for serious photographers.
180˚ tiltable LCD screen for flexible composition
High-resolution 3.0-type screen with tilt capability is perfect for taking selfies and framing of otherwise impossible overhead or low-angle shots. You can use it in high/low shooting positions for greater flexibility in capturing creative compositions.
Rapid AF response to capture decisive moments
The camera adopts Fast Intelligent AF featuring high-speed, highly accurate contrast-detection autofocus. Improved from the AF system used in α7 series, it achieves focus by minimizing wasted lens motion, predicting AF range, and accelerating lens drive, thereby improving response so you can capture even more fleeting moments.
Direct 4K movie recording via camera alone
The RX100 IV can record high-precision 4K movie data. Moreover, stunning high-precision 4K images with suppressed moiré and jaggies can be delivered via data readout without pixel binning or line skipping.
Connect to smartphones and tablets with one touch
Instantly transfer a photo or movie to your Android™ smartphone or tablet by simply touching it with the camera—using downloadable PlayMemories Mobile and built-in Wi-Fi and NFC™ (Near Field Communication). One touch can also activate Smart Remote Embedded, for remote control of the camera from a mobile device and movie recording start/stop.
Support for PlayMemories Camera Apps™ (PMCA)
Enjoy a camera that gains functionality with time. Choose from the growing range of PlayMemories Camera Apps for remote control, picture and video effects, and much more. Installation is simple using your PC or the camera's own Wi-Fi® connection. Note: Services availability depends on region.
Shoot almost anywhere with wide ISO sensitivity
Sensitivity extends right up to ISO 12800, for crisper images in extremely low light. Let Auto ISO mode determine the most appropriate setting automatically, or manually expand sensitivity as low as ISO 80. The camera also allows you to set up lower limit shutter speed at time of Auto ISO setting.
Custom button creative convenience
The custom (C) button allows you to program one of over 40 possible functions to best adapt the camera's capabilities to your shooting style. By assigning a frequently used function or a preferred setting to this button, you can call it up promptly. You'll gain handy fingertip access to your selection—for faster, more intuitive camera operation.
Dual Rec still shooting during movie recording
Shoot still images of 17 MP while recording a movie. The camera enables you to capture impressive high-quality stills even if movie-shooting. New Auto Dual Rec release function lets the camera automatically take photos during movie recording. Select frequency of Auto Dual Rec release from high/standard/low settings.
Various shutter functions now enhanced
Shutter-related functions have been improved. For example, the self-timer function now supports bracket shooting, so you can use this valuable feature even in situations when you can't release the shutter yourself. The number of exposure bracket shots is expanded to nine.
This function that boosts image brightness, for example, can be assigned to a customizable button for easy access when shooting a starry sky or other dark scene.
MF Assist and Peaking functions for focus refinement
These features help you fine-tune the focus as you desire. Manual Focus (MF) Assist magnifies the area you are focusing on to enable more precise adjustment, while Peaking highlights the sharpest or most in-focus area with your choice of colour to help determine whether further focusing adjustment is required.
Lock-on AF for enhanced photo opportunities
Simply press the shutter button halfway to activate Lock-on AF . It automatically adjusts the AF target frame size to match the subject size, improve tracking performance, and take full advantage of every photo opportunity.
Choose pro-quality XAVC S or AVCHD movie recording
Especially for serious videographers, XAVC S format provides low compression for high-quality movie expression and minimal noise even in scenes full of movement. You also have AVCHD format for easy editing and sharing. This camera uses 4K codec supporting 4K movie recording at up to 100 Mbps and additionally enables Full HD image recording.
Diverse movie functions supporting pro-style usage
Various available movie functions include Picture Profile (that determines the character of movies by changing basic parameters like chromogenic effects and gradation adjustment), S-Log2 gamma (that extends the dynamic range of recording to reduce occurrence of blown-out highlights and black crush), TC/UB, Rec Control, Dual Video Recording, etc.
Remote Camera Control supported
When the camera is connected to a computer, you can use Remote Camera Control to take pictures or change settings on the camera from the computer connected via USB port. All you need is to download the Remote Camera Control application of a version that supports your PC.
Capture One (for Sony)
Capture One Express (for Sony) is a free award-winning image editing software that provides high-end image quality RAW development, easy management of your image files, and powerful editing tools. Capture One Pro (for Sony) can be bought for even more editing tools and tethered shooting capability.
Works with iMovie and Final Cut Pro X
This product is compatible with Final Cut Pro X and iMovie.
New Imaging Edge software suite from Sony
Imaging Edge app suite can maximize image quality, improve production efficiency and help you finely adjust RAW-based images. Use its "Remote" to remotely control shooting; "Edit" to develop RAW data into high-quality photos; and "Viewer" to view, rate and select photos from a list of shots.