Full Specifications and Features
Size & Weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D)
- 19 1/2 x 7 11/16 x 18 1/4 inches
- Approx. 14 kg / 31 lb.
What's In The Box
- Remote Control (RM-PJ28)
- Size AA (R6) Manganese Batteries (2)
- AC Power Cord (1), Lens Cap (1)
- Operating Instructions (CD-ROM)
- Quick Reference Manual
- Display System
- 4K SXRD™ panel, projection system
- Display Resolution
- Computer signal input: Maximum display resolution: 1,920 x 1,080 dots (HDMI Input only) / Video signal input: 480/60p, 576/50p, 720/60p, 720/50p, 1080/60i, 1080/50i, 1080/60p, 1080/50p, 1080/24p, 3840 x 2160/24p, 3840 x 2160/25p, 3840 x 2160/30p, 3840 x 2160/50p*1, 3840 x 2160/60p*1, 4096 x 2160/24p, 4096 x 2160/25p, 4096 x 2160/30p, 4096 x 2160/50p*1, 4096 x 2160/60p*2
- Light source
- High-pressure mercury lamp, 225 W type
- Effective display size
- 0.74” x 3
- Effective pixels
- 26,542,080 (4096 x 2160 x 3) pixels
- Projection lens shift
- Vertical: +85% -80% Horizontal: +/-31%
- Screen size
- 60" to 300" (1,524 mm to 7,620 mm)
- Projection lens zoom / focus
- Powered (Approx. x2.06)
- Input and Output Terminals
- HDMI (2 INPUTS)*3 - Digital RGB/Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr, IR IN - Minijack, LAN - RJ45, 10Base-T/100BASE-TX, REMOTE - RS-232C, D-sub 9-pin (female), TRIGGER (2 INPUTS) - Minijack, DC 12 V Max. 100 mA, USB - DC 5 V, Max. 500 mA
- Operating temperature / humidity
- 5°C to 35°C (41°F to 95°F)/20% to 80% (no condensation)
- Storage temperature / humidity
- 14°C to +60°C (-10°F to +140°F)/20% to 80% (no condensation)
- Acoustic noise
- Power requirement
- AC100 V to 240 V, 3.5 A to 1.5 A, 50/60 Hz
- Power consumption
- 350 W
- Light Output
- 1,500 lm (Lamp mode: High) *4
- Color Light Output
- 1,500 lm (Lamp mode: High) *4
Eco and energy saving
- Power Consumption (Standby Mode)
- 0.3 W (when 'Remote Start' is set to 'Off')
- Power Consumption (Networked Standby Mode) – Terminals
- 1.0 W (LAN) (when “Remote Start” is set to “On”) When a LAN terminal is not connected, it goes into low power consumption mode (0.5 W).
- Standby Mode Activated
- After about 10 Minutes
- Displayed image may be converted for some input signals.
- YCbCr 4:2:0 / 8 bit
- Both HDMI inputs are compatible with HDCP 2.2.
- The values are estimates.
Native 4K resolution for lifelike pictures
With more than four times the resolution of Full HD, native 4K offers 8.8 million pixels (4096 x 2160) for a picture that is incredibly lifelike, which is why it is the resolution defined by the DCI (Digital Cinema Initiative) for cinema distribution. See corner-to-corner clarity and watch movies from much closer than you would in Full HD.
Motorized zoom lens and wide lens shift
Installing this projector in your room is easy with a 2.06 times motorized zoom with a wide lens shift range. Adjust the position of the projector up to 85% vertically and 31% horizontally to get just the right angle for your movies without creating image distortion or resolution loss.
1500 lumens for high brightness
Savour the action with up to 1,500 lumens of brightness, generated by a 225-W lamp, for vibrant images even on screens up to 762 cm (300 in).
Native 4K SXRD panel
The advanced Silicon X-tal Reflective Display (SXRD) panel technology featured in our digital cinema projectors delivers native 4K (4096 x 2160) resolution images, with more than four times the detail of Full HD. Fine details are wonderfully clear and natural, without jagged edges or visible pixels.
See deeper blacks with 4K SXRD™ panels
Latest SXRD panels deliver even better contrast, as well as native 4K resolution. With SXRD projection, you'll see rich, inky blacks, clear cinematic motion and smooth images. Improvements to the reflective silicon layer now mean even better light control, for precisely delivered shadows and blacks.
Super-resolution Reality Creation for 4K Contents
Sony's exclusive Reality Creation technology analyses images right down to the pixel level. It then employs pattern-matching algorithms developed over years of movie production to enhance crispness even without increasing digital picture noise. It also upscales existing Full HD Blu-ray Disc™ and DVD movies to near 4K quality.
Watch for longer with a 225-W ultra-high pressure lamp
Enjoy up to 6,000 hours of viewing time (in low mode) from a long-lasting lamp. This means fewer lamp swaps, simpler maintenance, and lower running costs.
Action stays smooth with Motionflow™
Whatever you're watching, you'll enjoy a silk-smooth on-screen look in fast-moving action sequences with Motionflow™. This innovative technology creates and inserts extra frames between the original frames, first comparing key visual factors on successive frames, then calculating the split second of missing action in the sequences. True Cinema 24p mode mimics true movie projection for cinema purists.
Colours come alive with TRILUMINOS™
Discover true-to-life colours and tones. The VPL-VW285ES incorporates TRILUMINOS™ colour, reproducing more tones and textures than a standard projector system. Hard-to-reproduce crimson reds, aqua blues and emerald greens are displayed beautifully, so landscapes and seascapes look more vivid. Faces look better, too, with skin tones more faithfully reproduced.
HDR compatibility: every image comes to life
Get the most from your projector when viewing new UHD Blu-ray and streaming services with High Dynamic Range (HDR). HDR video offers a vastly expanded brightness range to deliver far more realistic, high-contrast images and brilliant colours. Compatible with both HDR10 and HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) formats. Sony's home projectors reproduce colour and contrast faithfully to the creators' intentions.
Ready for immersive 3D
The VPL-VW285ES has a built-in 3D transmitter that supports 3D video in a variety of formats, and can even simulate your 2D movie classics to high quality 3D immersive video. The optional glasses use an industry-standard RF connection, making it easy to upgrade to a 3D cinema experience.
Support for the latest HDMI standards
The VPL-VW285ES can project native 4K content at up to 60 frames per second, for even smoother images with superior colour and realism. Support for HDCP 2.2 lets you enjoy 4K movies and TVs from a wide range of devices and set-top boxes.
Select from nine picture calibration modes
Quickly calibrate the picture to what you're watching or playing. Select from nine picture calibration modes, including two cinema film modes, cinema digital, reference, TV, photo, game, bright cinema and bright TV. An advanced Hue Saturation Value manual colour tuning tool gives you even more control.
The lamp in this product contains mercury. Disposal of these materials may be regulated due to environmental considerations. For disposal or recycling information, please contact your local authorities or association (www.sony.com/mercury).
Make the home theatre experience bigger and better than ever.
Sony 4K projectors are compatible with IMAX Enhanced content, making them ready to deliver the bigger, more breathtaking IMAX visuals you love in compatible content. Take advantage of the size of your projector screen with movies that become even more immersive with IMAX Enhanced.