IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
Select the type of shutter sound and then the model for steps to access the feature.
Models with the Silent Shooting feature
Models with an electronic shutter
ILCE-9 / 9M2
ILCE-7SM3, ILCE-7M4, ILCE-7RM5, or ILME-FX3
- Press the MENU button → (Shooting) → Shutter/Silent → Shutter Type → Electronic Shutter
- Press the MENU button → (Shooting) → Shutter/Silent →Shutter Type → Electronic Shutter
- Press the MENU button → (Shooting) → Sound Option → Audio signals → Off or On:w/o shutter.
- Use the electronic shutter setting responsibly and be careful not to violate the subject's privacy or right to usage of their likeness.
- When using the setting, you can't use the flash (except the ILCE-1). For more information on usage restrictions, refer to the Are there any restrictions on the use of Silent Shooting mode? article.
Other camera models
- You can't turn off the shutter sound because these models are only equipped with a mechanical shutter.
- The following camera models have an added electronic sound that is always on.
- ILCE-5000, ILCE-5100, ILCE-QX1, NEX-3N