When this situation occurs, the Reader® Digital Book will not be recognized in the software or the software may shut down when connecting the Reader Digital Book to the computer. Follow these steps to resolve this problem:
IMPORTANT: Before starting this or any troubleshooting procedure, verify that the Reader Digital Book has been updated with the latest firmware version and that the latest version of the software is installed on the computer. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
NOTE: Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this problem, open the Reader Library software and connect the Reader to the computer after completing each step.
- Close the software, re-open it, and then check the connection status again.
- Verify that the Reader Digital Book is turned on and is not locked.
The steps to lock or unlock the Reader Digital Book vary by model. Select your model from the list:
- Verify that the Reader Digital Book battery has an adequate charge.
NOTE: If the battery is discharged, allow the battery to charge for at least one hour before attempting to connect the Reader Digital Book to the software.
- Verify that the USB cable is properly and securely connected to the Reader Digital Book and the computer.
NOTE: The USB cable should be connected directly to the computer. Connecting the Reader Digital Book using a USB hub or extension cable is not supported.
- Verify that the Reader Digital Book displays the USB connection indicator in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Remove any Memory Stick® media or SD media in the Reader Digital Book. This step does not apply to the PRS-300 model.
- Disconnect any other USB Device except for your Keyboard, Mouse or Wireless USB transmitter.
- Disconnect the Reader Digital Book from the computer, close the Reader software and then restart the computer.
- With the Reader Digital Book connected to the computer, uninstall the USB driver .
- After you uninstall the driver, disconnect and then reconnect the Reader Digital Book back to the computer, allow a few moments for the driver to reinstall and then see if it is recognized by the computer.
- If problem still happens, turn off your Reader digital book and do a Hard Reset .
IMPORTANT: After doing a Hard Reset, it will be necessary to authorize your unit again.
- If possible, install the Reader software on a different computer and connect the Reader Digital Book to test.
The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve your issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, service may be required. Go to Product Repair.