IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
- Make sure the modem is connected to the phone jack properly. Devices such as splitters, fax machines, surge protectors or phones that are in the line between the modem and the phone jack can create issues. Connect the modem directly to the jack.
NOTE: There is a network jack which can be mistaken for a phone jack. Ensure the telephone line is connected to the modem and not to the network jack.
- The Internet Service Provider (ISP) or Bulleting Board System (BBS) may not be functioning. Try a different service or access number.
- Configure the modem dialing preferences properly, such as access to an outside line, area code, or a code to disable call waiting or another phone line feature.
NOTE: Refer to the ISP or BBS host to verify connection settings, configuration, parameters, or other special requirements.
- Remove and reinstall the modem drivers .
NOTE: Check the Sony® Support Web Site for updated or original modem drivers. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- The modem baud rate speed may be set too high and need to be lowered.
- If the telephone jack being used is set up for tone dialing, verify the computer is configured for tone dialing.
- There may be conflicts with third-party hardware. Remove all third-party hardware.
- The modem may not be connected to the wall jack correctly. Verify the TelCo line from wall is connected to the LINE port on the modem.
- Ensure the phone line does not have any additional features enabled such as call waiting, voice dialing, voice mail, etc. These may cause the a variance in the dial tone so that the dial tone is not detected properly or the call may be disconnected prematurely.
- If the modem is dialing a local number, determine whether the area code is required. In some locales it may be required.
- The computer may not detect a dial tone, even though one is present and can be heard when the modem initializes. If this occurs, disable the Wait for Dial Tone feature and attempt to connect again.
- The telephone jack being used may have unacceptable line noise.
- Perform a System Restore to a point when the modem was functioning correctly.
- Perform a format and recovery of the hard drive.
The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve your issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, service may be required. Go to Product Repair.