IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
- Before beginning this procedure, download and install any software and driver updates that may be available. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the audio status after completing each step.
- It is advised to use the VAIO Care™ troubleshooters and/or hardware diagnostics to help resolve your issue.
- If an application is in use that has its own volume control, check that the volume is turned up.
- If using external speakers, ensure the speakers are connected properly.
- If available, use a different set of speakers or headphones.
- If a different set of speakers works, the issue was caused by a problem with the original speakers. If this is the case, contact the manufacturer of the original speakers for further assistance.
- The speakers should be connected to the headphone jack on most VAIO® computers.
- On some notebook computer models, when the computer is connected to the docking station or port replicator, the internal speakers are disabled.
- If the speakers have a volume control, ensure the volume is turned up.
- If the computer has a volume control dial on the monitor, verify that this is turned up.
NOTE: On models with integrated speakers, the volume dial is located on the side of the unit.
- Ensure the speakers are turned on.
- If the speakers have a mute button, ensure it is off.
- Ensure the volume controls are turned up and not muted in the operating system.
- Ensure the Windows® Audio service is set to run automatically and the service status is started .
- Reset the system BIOS.
- Use the troubleshooter to troubleshoot audio playback .
- Perform a system restore to a date when the audio was working.
- Reinstall the device driver for sound by removing the existing driver in Device Manager and restarting the computer.
- Perform a system recovery of the computer.
The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve your issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, service may be required. Go to Product Repair.