There are several troubleshooting steps that are used to determine why the computer is shutting down and restarting intermittently. Follow the steps below to help determine the cause.
IMPORTANT: For model-specific information consult the operating instructions supplied with the product. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
NOTE: Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the computer status after completing each step.
- Remove any third party hardware, software, or peripherals that have been installed or that are attached to the computer.
- Determine if the fan on the computer is making a loud noise. This could indicate an issue with temperature.
- Determine if the computer shuts down or restarts before or after it boots to the operating system.
NOTE: If the issue happens after booting to the operating system, this indicates an issue with the operating system or the power management settings . If the computer does start after it boots to the operating system, you may want to try one of the following operating specific solutions:
- Determine if the computer shuts down and restarts when running on AC or battery power.
NOTE: If this issue occurs only while using the battery, follow the steps to troubleshoot the battery .
- With the computer plugged in to AC power, enter the BIOS and leave the computer powered on for 5 to ten minutes, or for the length of time you've determined that it takes for the computer to shut down or restart. If the computer shuts down or restarts while in BIOS, this indicates an issue with hardware.
- Reseat or move the memory to different memory slot locations.
If the issue is still unresolved, service may be required. Begin the procedure to send your Sony product into a Sony facility to be repaired.