Safe Mode loads the operating system with the most critical components in order to minimize the possibility of system failure. Safe Mode is a very effective tool to isolate issues, troubleshoot and repair the operating system.
One of the components not loaded in Safe Mode is the Windows Installer service, whose main function is to install, provide maintenance or remove software from the computer. For this reason, unless the software intended for installation has its own installer software, it will typically not install in Safe Mode.
To get around this limitation, the Windows Installer service can be enabled manually using the Command Prompt using this procedure.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode with Networking .
- Click the Start button and in the Search field, type CMD.
- Right-click the CMD option, and then click to select Run as administrator.
- In the cmd.exe window, type REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\MSIServer" /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D "Service" and then press the Enter key.
NOTE: You should see a confirmation message that states The operation completed successfully.
- Now type net start msiserver and then press the Enter key.
NOTE: You should see a confirmation message that states The Windows Installer service was started successfully..