If the computer fan is running at a high speed when playing games or running high performance software (video editing etc), the fan activity is normal. The fan is designed to run at a high speed under those circumstances. If computer fan is running at a high speed all the time, or if it runs up to a high speed right after the computer starts, follow these troubleshooting steps:
IMPORTANT: Before beginning this procedure, download and install all available driver, system and application updates. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
NOTE: Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the fan status after completing each step.
- Check the computer fan exhaust grid for lint, debris or other items that could clog the airstream.
- Start the computer into the BIOS.
- If the fan still runs at high speed, service may be required. Begin the procedure to send your Sony product into a Sony facility to be repaired.
- If fan slows down in the BIOS, continue with the next step.
- Start the computer into Safe Mode .
NOTE: If fan slows down in the Safe Mode, the issue could be caused by a startup or system service item that is causing fan to continually run, or causing the computer to produce excessive heat, forcing the fan to run continually.
- Troubleshoot to see if a startup or system service item is causing the issue.
- If the issue continues to occur, perform a System Restore procedure back to a time before the issue began .
If the issue is still unresolved, service may be required. Begin the procedure to send your Sony product into a Sony facility to be repaired.