If an error that the disc is not recognized appears when you put a Blu-ray Disc media into the Blu-ray Disc® drive, follow this procedure to troubleshoot the issue.
IMPORTANT: Not all computers have an internal Blu-ray Disc optical drive. To determine if your computer has a Blu-ray Disc optical drive, use this procedure .
NOTE: Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the Blu-ray Disc drive status after completing each step.
- Examine the disc to ensure there are no obvious scratches or smudges, try that disc in another device, and try other discs in the computer drive.
- If the disc will play in other devices then it should play in the computer drive.
- If the disc will not play in other devices or other discs do not produce the same error, then there may be some other issue with the disc. If this is a retail disc (such as a movie) contact the disc manufacturer. If this is a home-made disc, try recreating the content on a different disc.
- If the disc looks fine or will play in other devices, and if attempting to play other discs produces the same error, remove and reinstall the optical disc drive from Device Manager.
- Removing and reinstalling the optical disc drive from Device Manager will eliminate a device conflict or driver corruption as the cause.
- If more than one Blu-ray Disc drive is displayed in the Device Manager, remove all the drives listed.
- After removing and reinstalling the optical disc drive from Device Manager and restarting the computer, if there are still multiple optical disc drives listed, some added third-party software is creating a virtual optical drive. If this is the case, uninstall the third-party software causing the problem and repeat step 2.
- If the issue continues to occur after removing and reinstalling the optical disc drive from Device Manager and restarting the computer, and confirming that there is only one optical disc drive listed, perform a System Restore procedure back to a time before the issue occurred .
If the issue is still unresolved, service may be required. Begin the procedure to send your Sony product into a Sony facility to be repaired.