IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
The VAIO Care™ version 7 software can be used to restore the computer to the original factory software configuration. Follow the procedure below to run a system recovery:
WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. All data, settings, and programs added to the computer will be deleted. During this procedure you will have a chance to back up your data. Sony does not guarantee your personal data can be backed up and restored properly.
- Before performing a recovery, check for software and driver updates. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- This model does not require Recovery Discs. Recovery data is included on a special partition of the hard drive. That said, it is highly recommended to create a set of Recovery Discs .
- Sony provides a way to create Recovery Media on most computers. Instructions can be found in your product manual. Manuals, Specifications and Warranty information for your Sony product is available online. Sony Electronics is no longer permitted to sell system recovery media for VAIO PCs that shipped with operating systems released prior to Windows 7. If your computer shipped with any operating system released prior to the Windows 7 operating system, send your Sony computer into a Sony facility so that they can provide repair and recovery options.
- If the operating system will not start and no other troubleshooting can be performed, a system recovery can be performed by starting the computer and pressing the F10 key.
- It is recommended to connect the AC adapter to the computer so power is not interrupted.
- Disconnect all external devices, such as printers, network cables, cameras, external hard drives or flash drives.
- Make sure the computer is powered on and press the Assist button.
NOTE:If your computer does not have an Assist button on the top of the keyboard, click Start, then click All Programs.
- In the All Programs menu, click the VAIO Care folder and then click VAIO Care.
NOTE:If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password, or click Yes.
- In the VAIO Care application click Advanced Tools.
- Click Recovery & Restore.
- Click Recover Computer.
- Click Yes to proceed with the Recovery.
NOTE: The computer will restart.
- In the VAIO Care Rescue window, click Start recovery wizard.
- In the Do you need to rescue your data? window, click Yes, I'd like to rescue my data.
NOTE: If you do not have any data on your computer that you need to back up, click the Skip Rescue button and proceed to step 15.
- Connect an external storage device to the computer, such as a USB hard drive or thumb drive.
- In the Select Rescue type window, click Easy rescue.
NOTE: If you would like to manually select files to back up, click Custom Rescue and then follow the on-screen instructions.
NOTE: The software will automatically detect your data.
- Click to select the drive where you would like to back up your data and then click the Next button.
NOTE: This screen displays the amount of disc space required and the amount of free space on the external drive.
- In the Confirm options and start rescue window, click the Start Rescue button.
NOTE: A progress window will show the status of the backup.
- In the Rescue has completed successfully window, click the Next button.
- In the Are you sure you want to start recovery? window, click to select Yes, I'm sure and then click the Start Recovery button.
NOTE: A status window is displayed indicating the progress of the different applications. No action is required. This process may take up to 2 hours and the computer may restart several times.
- In the Recovery complete window, click the Restart button.
NOTE: The computer will restart.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to set up the operating system and complete the system recovery.