IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
There are two different types of reset procedure on the tablet: a soft reset and a factory data reset. The soft reset just closes all open apps, stops all active processes, and restarts the tablet. The factory data reset procedure will erase all user data from the internal storage, including all added Google® accounts and other email accounts, system and application settings, and all downloaded applications or books.
Follow these steps to perform a soft reset procedure.
- Press and hold the power button for at least 30 seconds.
NOTE: The tablet will turn off.
- Press the power button to turn it back on.
Most tablet issues can be resolved with just a soft reset. If issues still persist after a soft reset, it may be necessary to perform a factory data reset. To perform a factory data reset procedure, follow this procedure.
WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. Factory data reset procedure will erase all user data from the internal storage, including all added Google and other email accounts, system and application settings, all music, pictures and any other user data present, and all downloaded applications or books. It is recommended that you backup all user data to a computer or to SD card media before following the steps below.
- On the desktop, tap the Home icon.
- In the upper-right corner of the desktop home screen, tap the Apps & Widgets icon.
- In the Apps & Widgets screen, tap the Settings icon.
- In the Settings screen, tap to select Backup & reset.
- In the Backup & reset screen, tap to select Factory data reset.
- In the Factory data reset screen, tap to select Reset tablet.
- In the Confirm reset screen, if you are sure you want to continue with the rest procedure, tap Erase everything.
- The tablet will restart as the reset procedure is completed.