A picture password is a new way to sign in to the Windows 8 operating system. A picture password has two parts, the picture you need to set for the password and the set of gestures you draw on that picture.
Follow these steps to set up and use a picture password to sign in to the computer.
- Point to (but do not click) the lower-right or top-right corner of the screen, and click the Settings charm.
NOTE: The Windows Logo + I key combination will also take you to the Settings screen.
- In the Settings screen, in the lower-right corner, click Change PC settings.
- In the PC Settings screen, click the Users tab.
- On the Users tab, under Sign-in options, click the Create a picture password button.
- At the Create a picture password prompt, enter your current text password to confirm the account permissions, and then click the OK button.
- The Welcome to picture password screen will be displayed which contains a detailed explanation how to set up a picture password through different gestures.
- When you are ready, in the Welcome to picture password screen, click the Choose picture button, browse to and click to select the image you want to use, and then click on the Open button.
- In the How's this look screen, click the Use this picture button.
- In the Set up your gestures screen, you will be required to draw three gestures.
- The gestures can be any combination of straight lines, circles or taps.
- You will need to remember the size and position of the gestures you draw, and the order in which they are drawn. These will all become part of your picture password.
- As you complete each of the three gestures, the displayed numbers will record your progress.
- In the Confirm your gestures screen, draw the same three gestures at the same locations on the screen and in the same order.
NOTE: If you make a mistake or decide you do not like the gestures you have drawn, you can click the Start over button at any time.
- In the Congratulations screen, click the Finish button.
The picture password has been established and will be displayed the next time you try to log in to the computer.
- When presented with your Picture Password Login Screen, draw the three gestures that you created to log in to the computer.
- If you make a mistake with the password gestures you have drawn, you can click the Start over button to begin again.
- If you cannot remember the gestures you used to set up the picture password, click the Switch to password button to enter your original text password.