Follow this procedure to upgrade the Random Access Memory (RAM).
The following RAM configurations are supported:
|Total Memory||Onboard||Slot 1|
When purchasing memory to install into the computer, select SDRAM meeting the following specifications and guidelines:
- Gold edge connectors
- 266Mhz DDR (CL2.5) SDRAM SODIMMs
NOTE: CL2.5 refers to the Column Address Strobe (CAS) Latency of the RAM. CL2.5 indicates that the computer will wait 2.5 clock cycles between a request for a unit of information in memory and the receipt of that information for further processing.
Follow this procedure to install RAM modules.
WARNING: There is a risk of hardware damage. Ensure the computer is shut down and disconnected from power before following this procedure. It is also recommended to use a grounding strap to discharge static electricity during this procedure. If one is not available, touch an exposed metal part of the computer before handling the memory module.
IMPORTANT: Properly installing non-Sony memory does not void the limited warranty.
- Turn off the computer.
- Discharge any static electricity by touching a grounded metal object.
- Disconnect all peripheral devices from the computer, including PC Cards.
- Disconnect the computer from power and remove the battery.
IMPORTANT: Allow 2-3 minutes for the computer to cool down before proceeding.
- Close the lid of the notebook.
- On the bottom of the notebook, unscrew and remove the memory cover screw [FIG. 1] .
- Remove the memory cover.
- Ensure the memory slot is clean and free from dirt or dust.
IMPORTANT: If there is dust or dirt in the memory slot, the notebook will not be able to access the new RAM and may not turn on.
NOTE: If necessary, remove any current memory modules by pulling the two retaining clips outward [FIG. 2] and away from the memory module, then gently lifting the memory module from the memory socket.
- Remove the new memory module from the packaging.
- Ensure the pins on the new memory module are clean.
IMPORTANT: If the pins on the memory module are not clean, the notebook will not be able to access the new RAM and may not turn on.
- Install the memory module by sliding the memory module [FIG. 3] into the memory slot.
- Push the uppermost edge of the memory module down toward the computer [FIG. 4] until the retaining clips click into place to firmly hold the memory module.
- Replace the memory cover and ensure the screw is in place.