A Certificate of Authenticity (COA) or Product ID is not necessary to setup, configure or use the operating system included with the computer. These computers utilize both a Universal ID specific to Sony® VAIO® computers which is integrated into the operating system, and the System Locked Preinstallation (SLP) feature which codes the operating system to the specific hardware included in the computer.
- The Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker that is located on the computer or the Windows User's Guide is for reference purposes only.
- The Windows User's Guide included with the computer does not have a COA or a Product ID imprinted on the cover.
- Only hardware, software, and drivers provided by Sony will be supported. Operating system support will only be provided for VAIO® computers bundled with the original operating system, or that have the Sony supplied operating system upgrade installed.
- Computers that are upgraded as part of the Sony Windows XP Upgrade Program will be prompted for the Product ID from the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) on the back of the Windows XP Upgrade manual.
- If a retail version the Windows XP operating system is installed, or the computer hardware undergoes a significant change, activation of the operating system will be required. If this occurs, follow the Windows XP Activation Wizard on-screen instructions. Support for use of the Windows XP Activation Wizard can only be provided by Microsoft. Sony cannot provide an activation code for the Windows XP operating system.