Follow these steps to troubleshoot when the computer starts to a blank screen, freezes or stops at a blue or black screen, or randomly restarts.
IMPORTANT: If model-specific information is required to complete any of the steps in this solution, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the product. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
NOTE: Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, restart the computer and check the status after completing each step.
- Ensure all media has been removed from the DVD/CD/BD and floppy disk drives.
- Disconnect all peripheral devices, disconnect the power cord for 30 seconds, then reconnect the power cord and attempt to power on the computer.
NOTE: If the computer starts normally after performing this procedure, the issue is being caused by the peripheral devices that were connected to the computer.
- Remove the power cord, then remove any additional Random Access Memory (RAM) modules that has been added to the computer. Reconnect the power cord.
NOTE: If the computer starts normally after performing this procedure, the issue is being caused by the RAM that was added to the computer.
- Disconnect the power cord from the computer, reseat the memory, reconnect the power cord to the computer.
- If possible, download and install all available updates from the Sony® Support Web Site.
NOTE: If not prompted to do so, restart the computer after installing any updates.
- If possible, reset the BIOS defaults .
NOTE: If unable to get to the BIOS screen, turn off the computer, disconnect the power cord for 30 seconds, then reconnect the power cord and attempt to enter the BIOS again.
- Start the computer in Safe Mode , then perform a System Restore procedure .
NOTE: If unable to perform a System Restore, restore the Registry.
- Perform a System Recovery.
NOTE: The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve this issue. If all of the steps have been completed and the issue is not resolved, service may be required. Begin the procedure to send your Sony product into a Sony facility to be repaired.