There are no System Recovery CDs (SRCDs) included with the computer. The recovery data is included on a special partition of the hard drive. Follow this procedure to create a Recovery Media Kit, which can be used as an emergency backup for the recovery partition.
WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. The Recovery Media Kit cannot be created before installing the update from the Sony® eSupport website. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- Rewritable media cannot be used to create the Recovery Media Kit.
- Not all computers have the capability to write to DVD media. Consult the specifications of the computer for additional information. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Do not interrupt the power during the recovery process.
- Sony Electronics is no longer permitted by Microsoft® to sell system recovery media for computers that were shipped with any operating system released prior to the Windows® 7 operating system.
- If you are unable to create the Recovery Media Kit or recover the computer using the Recovery partition, please contact Best Buy for VAIO PC repair and recovery options at 1-800-433-5778.
- Ensure all open programs are closed.
- Ensure all network connections are disconnected.
- Ensure all peripheral devices are disconnected.
- In the VAIO Recovery Wizard window, under Media and Recovery Options, click to select the Create Recovery Media Kit (Strongly Recommended) option.
- Click the Next button.
- Under You have two choices for recovery media, click to select the desired option to create the Recovery Media Kit:
NOTE: The type of media that can be used and the number of discs required may vary depending on the type of disc drives present and the specific model used. Details are provided in the VAIO Recovery Wizard window.