IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
There are no System Recovery CDs (SRCDs) included with the computer. The recovery data required to return the computer to the original, factory-installed condition is included on a special partition of the hard drive. Follow this procedure to create a Recovery Media Kit, which can be used to restore the recovery partition and return the computer to the original, factory-installed condition.
- Rewritable media cannot be used to create the Recovery Media Kit.
- Not all computers have the capability to write to DVD media. Consult the specifications for the computer for additional information. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Do not interrupt the power during the recovery process.
Sony Electronics is no longer permitted to sell system recovery media for VAIO PCs that shipped with operating systems released prior to Windows 7. If you have not created a set of Recovery Media, or if the Recovery Media has been lost or misplaced, begin the procedure to send your Sony computer into a Sony facility so that they can provide repair and recovery options.
NOTE: The Recovery Media Kit is not a backup utility. Personal data and software installed after purchase, or since the last system recovery, is not saved by the Recovery Media Kit.
- Ensure all open programs are closed.
- Ensure all network connections are disconnected.
- Ensure all peripheral devices are disconnected.
- From within the VAIO® Recovery Wizard application, in the VAIO Recovery Wizard window, under Media and Recovery Options, click to select the Create Recovery Media Kit (Strongly Recommended) option.
- Click the Next button.
- Under You have two choices for recovery media, click to select the desired option to create the Recovery Media Kit:
NOTE: The type of media that can be used and the number of discs required may vary depending on the type of disc drives present and the specific model used. Details are provided in the VAIO Recovery Wizard window.