IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
When purchasing memory to install into the computer, select Dual In-line Memory Modules (DIMMs) meeting the following specifications and guidelines:
- Double Data Rate-Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory (DDR-SDRAM)
- PC3200 400 MHz.
- 184 gold pin
- 2.5 Volts
The following RAM configurations are supported:
- These computers have a total of four memory slots and ship with two 256MB memory modules for a total memory amount of 512MB.
- Memory modules can be added and used in any size combination, to a maximum memory amount of 2048MB.
- Memory modules must be added in pairs.
|Total Memory||Slot 1||Slot 2||Slot 3||Slot 4|
|512 MB||256 MB||Empty||256 MB||Empty|
|768 MB||256 MB||128 MB||256 MB||128 MB|
|1024 MB||256 MB||256 MB||256 MB||256 MB|
|1280 MB||512 MB||128 MB||512 MB||128 MB|
|1536 MB||512 MB||256 MB||512 MB||256 MB|
|2048 MB||512 MB||512 MB||512 MB||512 MB|
Follow this procedure to install Random Access Memory (RAM).
WARNING: There is a risk of hardware damage. Ensure the computer is shut down and disconnected from power before following this procedure. It is also recommended to use a grounding strap to discharge static electricity during this procedure. If one is not available, touch an exposed metal part of the chassis before handling the memory module.
- Properly installing non-Sony memory does not void the limited warranty.
- Handle memory modules only by the edges. Do not touch the connectors or circuits.
NOTE: It may be necessary to remove a currently installed memory module to allow the installation of additional memory modules.
- Disconnect all peripheral devices such as printers, displays, and speakers.
- Unplug the power cable from the computer.
- Facing the back of the computer, press the side panel release latch.
NOTE: When facing the back of the computer, the panel to be removed is on the right side.
- Pull the side panel straight out to remove it.
- Place the computer on its side.
- On the motherboard, move the memory slot tabs slightly outward.
- Holding the memory module only by the edges, remove it from the antistatic package.
- Align the memory module over the appropriate memory slot, ensuring that the bridge in the memory slot is aligned with the notch in the memory module.
- Insert the bottom edge of the memory module into the slot and press gently and evenly against the upper corners until the module is seated into the slot.
NOTE: The latches on both sides of the memory slot will snap into position automatically once a module is fully inserted.
- Push the side panel onto the computer until it snaps into place.
- Reconnect all peripheral devices and plug in the computer.