The CD, DVD or Blu-ray Disc optical drive icon is missing from the My Computer window, will not read a disc, is not working properly or shows an exclamation point in Device Manager.
IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
- If the computer is connected to a network, ensure the drive letter assigned to the missing device is not also assigned to a network drive or resource.
- Download and install all updates available for your computer. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- Reset the BIOS defaults.
- Restart the computer.
NOTE: Wait a few seconds for the CD/DVD to be detected before double-clicking to access it.
- Ensure the disc is clean and free of smudges, fingerprints and scratches, and that it is inserted correctly.
NOTE: The label should be facing up for CD and single sided DVD discs.
- Try a different disc in the drive.
IMPORTANT: If another disc works in the drive, the disc may be damaged in some way or is not readable.
- Turn off the computer.
- Unplug the computer from the AC power outlet for 30 seconds, then plug it back into a known working AC outlet.
- If the drive is removable, ensure the drive is properly connected and has power.
- Turn on the computer.
- If the computer is a notebook, ensure the drive is enabled in VAIO Power Management.
- Ensure no hardware resource conflicts are present.
- Ensure a third-party application is not blocking access to the drive.
- Ensure no unsupported WIN.INI or SYSTEM.INI drivers are loading.
- Remove the upper and lower filters from the registry .
- Perform a system restore to a point when the CD/DVD drive was functioning properly.
- Check for a possible virus on the computer.
- Perform a system recovery.
If the issue is still unresolved, service may be required. Begin the procedure to send your Sony product into a Sony facility to be repaired.