IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
WARNING: There is a risk of hardware damage. Do not use a dry cloth or commercial cleaning solution to remove dust particles from the surface of the image sensor. Doing so may cause the coating on the image sensor to peel off.
To clean the image sensor, select the Cleaning mode in the camera menu to lock the mirror in the up position. Use a hand-held camera cleaning blower to remove the dust particles from the surface of the image sensor.
- Do not touch the image sensor with the tip of the blower. Complete the cleaning quickly.
- Hold the camera’s face downward to prevent the dust from resettling in the camera.
- When cleaning the image sensor, do not put the tip of a blower into the cavity beyond the mount.
IMPORTANT: For model-specific steps about how to select the Cleaning mode in the camera menu, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the camera. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- There are many third-party kits available on the market that can be used to clean the image sensor. Check your local electronics or professional camera shop for availability.
- Many camera shops also offer professional cleaning services for image sensors that may be able to be performed in a timely manner.
- Sony is not liable for any incidental or consequential damages due to mishandling by non-Sony service locations or otherwise.