Follow these steps to adjust the computer's master volume.
IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
- If external speakers are being used, verify they are connected to the correct output on the computer and ensure the volume on the speakers is turned up.
- Some notebook models have a volume control wheel that controls the overall volume.
- The steps to perform the rest of this procedure are detailed below, and a Video Tutorial also is available to show you the steps as they are being performed.
- Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel window, click Hardware and Sound.
- In the Hardware and Sound window, under Sound, click Adjust system volume.
- In the Volume Mixer window, in the Device box, click and drag the slider up to increase or down to decrease the volume.
- When the desired volume is set, close the Volume Mixer window.
- Volume controls for open applications will also be displayed in the Volume Mixer window and can be adjusted independently.
- The system volume control can also be accessed by clicking on the speaker icon in the system tray.