IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
IMPORTANT notes while charging your Reader™ Wi-Fi® or Reader™ Digital Book:
- It is recommended to charge the Reader while you are using the computer or to use the optional AC Adapter. If you leave your Reader Digital Book connected to the computer to charge and the computer goes into sleep or hibernation mode, charging will stop and the red charge indicator on the Reader will turn off. If left connected, your battery may begin to discharge. To avoid this, turn off any sleep or hibernation settings while charging or set your sleep or hibernation settings to come on after your Reader Digital Book has been charged and then disconnect it from the computer once charging has completed.
- It will take approximately 4 hours to achieve a full charge with a computer. It will take approximately 2 hours to achieve a full charge with the optional AC Adapter.
- Always verify that your Reader is fully charged by disconnecting it from the computer and checking the battery indicator. The battery indicator will display 4 black bars when it is fully charged.
On a full charge, the battery has the capability of up to 7,500 continuous page turns. Actual battery life will vary based on usage patterns, settings and battery conditions. When the Reader is turned on, off, or a page is marked, battery power is used, thus lowering the expected battery life.
NOTE: When storing the Reader for a long period of time, use the Device Shutdown feature in the Advanced settings menu. After using Device Shutdown, it may take approximately 30 seconds for the Reader to start the next time the Reader is turned on.
Playing audio will reduce the battery life. Audio playback will continue until it is stopped by accessing Now Playing in the Home menu. If audio is playing when the Reader is turned off, playback will resume automatically when the Reader is turned back on.
In the Home menu, verify that the symbol to the left of Now Playing is two vertical bars. If the symbol is anything other than the two vertical bars, select Now Playing and press the ENT button to stop playback.
- Due to the nature of the E Ink electronic display technology, the LCD can retain an image without having power. Turning the page is the only time power is consumed. If the Reader's power is drained, the LCD will retain the last image that was displayed, thus making it appear like the Reader is frozen and in some instances it will not have enough power to perform other operations such as turning on or off.
- Battery life can be affected by operating temperatures below 41 degrees F, lack of use, or if the battery has not been given enough time to fully charge.
- As with any battery, if the Reader is stored for an extended period of time, the battery will discharge on it's own. Therefore, it may be necessary to charge the battery prior to use.
- If the Reader has not been used for an extended period of time, repeatedly charging and discharging will improve the efficiency of the battery.
- If the battery life still seems short, service may be required to replace the battery. Begin the procedure to send your Sony product into a Sony facility to be repaired.