IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
A blue screen appears if the 4K Ultra HD media player is not connected to the correct HDMI® input on the Sony® 4K Ultra HD TV.
Follow these steps to properly connect the 4K Ultra HD media player to the Sony 4K Ultra HD TV:
Prior to following the steps in this solution, visit the Sony 4K activation website to confirm compatibility of your 4K Ultra HD TV with the 4K Ultra HD media player and to check if your TV qualifies for the free premium service activation.
NOTE: The 4K activation service is only available for customers in the United States.
- Make sure the TV is connected to an active Internet connection.
- Using a LAN cable, connect your modem or router to the LAN input of the 4K Ultra HD media player.
- The 4K Ultra HD media player and the TV must be on the same network.
- If using the FMP-X10, a wireless connection is possible, but a LAN connection is recommend to maximize the Network connection.
- Connect the 4K media player to the appropriate HDMI input on the 4K TV.
- If using the XBR-xxX900A or the XBR-xxX850A model 4K Ultra HD TV, the 4K media player must be connected to the HDMI 4 input on the TV. This does not include the XBR-84X900A.
- For other BRAVIA® series or 4K projectors, connect to the 4K media player to the HDMI IN 2 input on the TV. This includes the XBR-84X900A.
- Turn on the TV.
- Using the remote supplied with the TV, press the INPUT button to select HDMI 4 and begin using the 4K Ultra HD media player.
- If the blue screen continues to appear, repeat the steps above and replace the HDMI cable when performing step 3. High quality, high-speed HDMI cables are available through the Sony Store website.
Please contact a local or online authorized retailer to purchase a Sony product.
For customers in Canada: https://dealerlocator.sony.ca/locator/init.do
- The FMP-X1 4K Ultra HD media player is only compatible with select Sony 4K TVs manufactured in 2013 and 2014.
- The TV and the 4K Ultra media player may give a message that an update is required. In each case, select OK and wait for the update to download before using the device.
- If you would like to hear the sound from the media player through a receiver or home theater system, a connection must be made from the HDMI OUT 2 connection on the media player to the HDMI In on the audio device.
The following image provides an example of the above connection:
If Cannot connect to server message appears on screen, further troubleshooting is required.