When you connect headphones to a device, both the music playback (Media audio) and the phone call function (Call audio) are connected simultaneously. Most headphones allow multiple Bluetooth® connections to audio devices, however, to switch sources, you would need to go into the Bluetooth settings, disconnect the current source, and then connect the source you want to use with the headphones.
Unlike many other headphones, the WH-1000XM4 headphones support Multipoint connection. This means that the headphones can switch easily between two audio sources without needing to go through the normal Bluetooth reconnection process.
Before you start
- Multipoint connection works with only two devices at a time.
- A third device can be connected through Bluetooth, however, the Bluetooth connection with the last device that played music will stay connected and the second device will be disconnected in order for the third device to establish the Bluetooth connection with the headphones.
- Download the Sony | Headphones Connect app on one of the devices and make sure it has the latest update.
- Both source devices must support Bluetooth capability.
- When pairing the headphones with any device, make sure to select WH-1000XM4, rather than LE_WH-1000XM4 on the source device.
- It may take up to one minute before WH-1000XM4 appears on the screen.
How to use the Multipoint connection
The steps may vary depending on the devices that you want to use. Follow the instructions according to the devices the headphones will be paired to.
*iPhone, iPad, Mac, AirPlay, and HomeKit are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.