When you connect headphones to a device, both the music playback (Media audio) and the phone call function (Call audio) are connected simultaneously. Most headphones allow multiple Bluetooth® connections to audio devices, however, to switch sources, you would need to go into the Bluetooth settings, disconnect the current source, and then connect the source you want to use with the headphones.
Unlike many other headphones, the WH-1000XM4 headphones support Multipoint connection. This means that the headphones can switch easily between two audio sources without needing to go through the normal Bluetooth reconnection process. The headphones can also automatically answer a call on your phone while you are listening to audio on another source (such as a computer or music player).
Before you start
- Download the Sony | Headphones Connect app on one of the devices and make sure it has the latest update.
- Both source devices must support Bluetooth capability
- When pairing the headphones make sure to select WH-1000XM4, rather than LE_WH-1000XM4.
- It may take up to a minute before WH-1000XM4 appears on the screen.
How to use the Multipoint connection
Multipoint connection works with only two devices at a time. For example, you can:
- watch a video on your computer and answer a call from your smartphone
- listen to music on your Walkman® player (or other music player) and answer a call from your smartphone.
The steps may vary depending on the devices that you want to use. Follow the instructions according to the devices the headphones will be paired to.
*iPhone, iPad, Mac, AirPlay, and HomeKit are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.