IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
You can connect USB® devices to your Xperia® device using a USB OTG (On-The-Go) cable. A USB OTG cable is sometimes called a USB Adapter or USB Host cable.
Examples of how you can use USB devices with your Xperia device:
- Back up files to a USB memory stick or an external hard drive.
- Play music and videos stored on your Xperia device's USB stick or an external hard drive.
- Transfer photos or videos from your camera to your Xperia device (availability depends on the camera) to save storage space on the camera or show the images or videos on the Xperia device.
- Write documents, text messages, emails, tweets, or Facebook updates using a computer keyboard.
- Play games using a gamepad, for example, a PS3™ or PS4™ controller or a joystick.
- Navigate your Xperia device using a mouse.
- Use an Ethernet connection to connect your Xperia device to the internet, for example, if the Wi-Fi® connection is weak or unavailable.
What you need
- An Xperia device that supports the USB Host standard.
- Depending on the Xperia model, a Standard-A Female USB to Micro-C Male USB OTG cable or a Standard-A Female USB to Micro-B Male USB OTG cable.
- If you want to transfer files, you need a file manager to access files. If no file manager is pre-installed on your Xperia device, you can download one from the Google Play™ store.
What are the different USB Host features?
You can connect USB devices to an Xperia phone or tablet are clustered into different groups or device classes.
- HID = Human Interface Devices such as keyboards, mice, or gamepads
- USB mass storage = USB flash drives, memory card readers, digital cameras, or external drives
- Audio = USB speakers, USB microphones, or USB audio DACs
- USB Hub = USB hubs
- USB Ethernet = Connect to an Ethernet port using a USB-to-Ethernet adapter
Which USB Host features does my phone or tablet support?
HID, USB hub, USB mass storage, and Audio
- Xperia L4
- Xperia 10 II
- Xperia 1 II
- Xperia 5 II
- Xperia PRO
- Xperia 5 IV
- Xperia 1 V
- Xperia 10 V
- Tip: These models mainly support the Android USB host API for developers. This means that they can be used to control USB Host devices from Android™ apps.