How do I set up an Xperia device and a PS5 and PS4 for Remote Play?
IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
This applies to the following operating system
- Android™ 12
- Android 13
Setting up PS5™/ PS4™ Remote Play on the Xperia™ device
The PS Remote Play feature allows you to use your smartphone to display your PlayStation®5 and PlayStation®4. This way, you don't depend on the TV's availability and can play anywhere in your home.
To use PS Remote Play, you need
- An Xperia® phone or tablet supporting PS Remote Play.
- A PlayStation5 or PlayStation4
- A DUALSENSE™ controller or DUALSHOCK™4 controller.
- A Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) connection.
- A home Wi-Fi® network supporting Wi-Fi® DLNA.
Note: Your PlayStation5 or PlayStation4 and your Xperia phone or tablet must be connected to the same home Wi-Fi™ network to use PS Remote Play.
Steps to set up a PS5™/ PS4™ for Remote Play on your Xperia device.
- Set up PS4 Remote Play on the Xperia device.
- On the Xperia device, download and install PS4 Remote Play from Google Play™. The PS4 Remote Play app has been available since November 2014 but may not be available in all countries and may not be supported by all networks and service providers in all areas.
- On the PS4, update the PS4 software to version 2.0 or later. The availability of software updates depends on your country or operator.
- On the Xperia device & PS5/ PS4, sign into PlayStation® Network (PSN) with your Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) account on the PS5/ PS4 and the Xperia device. Make sure that you are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Pair the PS5/ PS4 with the Xperia device.
If the PS5/ PS4 you use is not activated as your primary PS5/ PS4 device, you must pair it manually with your Xperia device.
- Connect the PS5/ PS4 and the Xperia device to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Sign in to PSN with your Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) account on the PS5/ PS4 and the Xperia device.
- On the PS5/ PS4, select Settings → Remote Play Connection Settings → Add Device to display the registration code for device pairing.
- On the Xperia device, find and tap PS4 Remote Play.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and enter the registration code displayed on the PS5/ PS4.
- Once you've manually paired the PS5/ PS4 console with your Xperia device, you need to establish a connection between the Xperia device and the wireless controller using Bluetooth® technology.
- Connect the Xperia device with DUALSENSE/ DUALSHOCK4 controller
You can connect the controller to the Xperia device or use the on-screen controller (touch screen) to play games. The on-screen controller is not intended for the entire gameplay. Instead, it provides a simple and easy secondary input method.
Note: Make sure a complete PS5/ PS4 gaming experience, use the DUALSENSE / DUALSHOCK4 controller, the only control device that fully supports PS4 Remote Play on Xperia devices.
- Make sure that the controller is powered off (no light bar). Press and hold the PS button until the controller is powered off if it's on.
- On the Xperia device, find and tap Settings → Device connection → Connection preferences → Wireless controller for PS5 and PS4 → PAIR NEW CONTROLLER.
- On the controller, press and hold the SHARE button and the PS button until the light bar starts to flash white.
- Follow the on-screen instructions on the Xperia device to complete the connection.
- Enhance the gaming experience.
You can enhance your PS4 Remote Play gaming experience by enabling the vibration feature on your DUALSENSE/ DUALSHOCK4 controller.
Note: If Enable Vibration is OFF, the controller doesn't vibrate even if the vibrate function is set to ON in the game you are playing.
- PS5/ PS4: Select Settings → Devices → Controllers → Enable Vibration.
- Connecting or reconnecting the DUALSENSE/ DUALSHOCK4 controller with the PS5/ PS4 or Xperia device
- You need the USB cable to reconnect the PS5/PS4 to the controller.
- To reconnect the Xperia device to the controller, you only need to connect them again.
Xperia phones compatible with PS5
- Xperia 1 III
- Xperia 5 III
- Xperia 1 IV
- Xperia 5 IV
- Xperia PRO-I
- Xperia 1 V
Xperia phones compatible with PS4
Refer to How do I set up an Xperia device and a PS4 for Remote Play? article