Before you start
- This article is designed to assist when the Audio Return Channel (ARC) or Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC) feature is not working and both the TV and audio system are compatible with the ARC feature.
- If only one of the devices is ARC/eARC compatible, the HDMI® ARC/eARC feature can't be activated. To get sound from your TV, you will need to connect the audio system with an optical cable or audio cable.
Check for resolution after each step and review your product manuals if model-specific information is required.
- Perform a power reset on the TV and audio system
- Turn off both devices.
- Disconnect the power cords and HDMI cables from both devices.
- Leave the devices disconnected for two minutes.
- Reconnect the HDMI cable to the HDMI IN (ARC or eARC) input of the TV and the HDMI OUT (ARC or eARC) of the audio system.
- Connect the power cords to both devices.
- Power on the TV first, then the audio system.
- Update the TV and the audio system with the .
- On the TV and audio system, turn Control for HDMI or BRAVIA Sync ON, then check the device listing in the BRAVIA Sync menu on the TV.
- If both devices are connected with ARC/eARC activated and the audio system is not listed in the BRAVIA Sync menu, then replace the HDMI cable.
- Make sure that the replacement HDMI cable is new or in working condition.
- Set the ARC/eARC or TV Audio Input Mode of the audio system to On or Auto.
Note: This setting may not be available on some products.
- Connect a high-speed HDMI cable to the HDMI IN (ARC or eARC) port of the TV and to the HDMI OUT (ARC or eARC) of the audio device.
Note: When using eARC, a Premium HDMI cable should be used or audio issues may occur.
- Disconnect the HDMI cables from all devices and clear the data and cache from the ExternalInputServices app.
If the issue still occurs, follow these additional troubleshooting steps:
- On your TV, set the speaker settings to Audio System.
Note: Your audio system doesn't automatically produce sound when you connect the cable.
- On your audio system, press the INPUT or TV button to switch the input to TV.
- On your TV speaker settings, set the Digital Audio Output to PCM. If the audio system connected to the TV doesn't support DTS or Dolby Digital, it may not output sound depending on the type of broadcast or video.
- Press the (Quick Settings) or HOME button on the supplied remote depending on the TV:
- Select Settings.
- Select Sound, Display & Sound, or BRAVIA Settings depending on your TV.
- Select Audio output.
Note: Skip this step if unavailable.
- Select Digital audio out, then set to PCM.
- For Android TV™ and Google TV™, clearing the data and cache of an app may resolve sound issues. If an app is causing problems with sound, refer to the Clear Data and Clear Cache on your Android TV article to select the app and clear the data and cache..
A separate article is available if you want to know how to hear the TV sound through speakers of a stereo receiver or home theater system.