How to troubleshoot low sound or no audio from the rear surround sound speakers.
IMPORTANT: If model-specific information is needed to complete any of these steps, refer to the instructions supplied with the product. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
NOTE: Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the surround sound for the rear speakers after completing each step.
- Verify that the rear surround speakers are properly connected to the Audio/Video (A/V) receiver.
IMPORTANT: If applicable to your model, verify that the A/B speaker selector is set to the appropriate position. If the speakers are connected to the A speaker connection on the rear of the A/V receiver, then the A/B speaker selector must be set to the A position.
- Perform a test tone operation to check if the speakers are functioning correctly
- Increase the rear speaker volume or surround speaker settings to maximum.
- Try selecting a different size (small or large) for the rear surround speakers in the menu.
- Verify that the A/V receiver is set to a surround sound mode.
- For Dolby® ProLogic surround sound, the center-channel mode must be set to NORMAL or WIDE.
- If your source is a DVD or Blu-ray Disc® player, verify that the surround sound is enabled in the menu for the player itself.
- The audio being received must be multi-channel.
- Try setting the A/V receiver to a different surround sound mode.
- Verify the source that you are playing is encoded in surround sound.
NOTE: Surround sound is not present at all times. During periods of mainly dialog, most of the sound may come from the center speaker only, with audio coming out of the rear speakers when there is background or ambient noise.
- Reset the unit back to factory default settings.
NOTE: Consult the operating instructions for model-specific steps to reset your unit back to factory settings.
- After resetting the unit, if applicable to your model, follow the steps for Calibrating the appropriate settings automatically.
IMPORTANT: After connecting the calibration microphone device, make sure to set the microphone down on a flat surface and move away from the device so there are no obstructions between the speakers and the microphone while the calibration is taking place.
- Replace the speaker wires.
- Try connecting a different pair of speakers.
If the issue is still unresolved, service may be required.  Go to Product Repair.