The battery does not hold a charge or power the video camera or camcorder for the specified amount of time; it drains too quickly.
When the video camera is turned on, it may take up to a minute before the battery remaining time will appear. In addition, the displayed battery level indicator is an estimate. The actual battery life will vary depending on how the camera is operated and what functions are used; using zoom and external light sources or microphones frequently will shorten the battery charge.
Also, batteries discharge faster when used in cold weather conditions. In cold low temperatures, it is recommended that batteries be kept in a warm place before using. Sometimes batteries may recover some power if they are warmed up after being in the cold.
Take the battery out of the camera and look at the metal terminals. Use a dry cloth or cotton swab to clean the terminals if the terminals appear dirty.
The ability of a battery to hold a full charge diminishes over time. Depending on how long you have had the battery, it may be time to replace it with a new one.
If using a accessory battery that was not supplied with the camera, the average recording time listed on the packaging of the battery will vary due to several different factors, including ambient temperature and the power consumption of the camera. The battery package states the power consumption specification needed to achieve the average recording time. If the camera power consumption is more than the specification stated on the battery packaging, the average continuous recording time will be lowered.
Here is an example of how to calculate recording time for an accessory battery: If the instruction manual for your camera lists the supplied battery at 1000 mAh with a typical recording time of 40 minutes, then an accessory battery listed at 3900 mAh will provide approximately 156 minutes of recording time. The 3900 mAh battery provides 3.9 times longer recording time than the 1000 mAh battery (40 minutes x 3.9 = 156 minutes).
- The QUICK ON function available on select video camera models switches it to the sleep mode when the LCD panel is closed during recording. Since the camera is still turned on during the sleep mode, battery power continues to be consumed and will decrease.
- Power consumption information is available in the specifications section of the instruction manual included with your camera. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Even if you do not use the battery for a long period, it is recommended to fully charge and discharge it at least once a year to maintain its performance. When storing, the battery should be removed from the camera.
- Replacement batteries are available for purchase online.  Go to Parts and Accessories.
- If the issue is still unresolved even when using a new, fully-charged battery the camera may require service.  Go to Product Repair.