When using a computer with a Windows® operating system, it is not necessary to install the USB driver to be able to connect a Sony® camcorder to the computer via USB cable. A generic driver embedded into the Windows operating system is used for communication between the camcorder and the computer. The Windows operating system will automatically detect and install the proper driver after connecting the camcorder to the computer using a USB cable.
NOTE: A separate article is available if the computer does not recognize the USB connection from a Sony camcorder .
If you want to transfer videos and photos from the camcorder to the computer, it is recommended to use the PlayMemories Home™ software .
Some tape type camcorders require to install the driver from the supplied software first to be able to communicate with the Windows computer. Follow the steps below to install the software and USB driver in a computer running in a Windows operating system.
- Before attempting to install the software, check the software specifications to ensure it is compatible with the operating system on your computer. The software specifications are provided in the instruction manual provided with the camcorder.
- If the camcorder is already connected to the computer, disconnect it prior to beginning this procedure.
- Turn on the computer.
NOTE: If using an operating system that has Administrator privileges, it is recommended that you log on the computer as an Administrator.
- Insert the supplied software CD into the CD-ROM drive of the computer.
- At the installation screen, click the Install button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the software installation.