To restore the camera to its original factory settings, you can perform a settings reset by following the steps below:
- The process to reset a camera back to the original factory settings differs depending on the type and model of camera.
- To determine the reset or initialize method for your camera, check the specifications or supplied operations guide. Online manuals can easily be searched for the words Reset or Initialize to determine the method for your camera.
- Prior to following the steps, check the following:
- Be sure not to power off the camera while resetting is in progress.
- If you are using a model that supports the PlayMemories™ Camera Apps, when you perform Initialize or Setting Reset, apps downloaded for the product may be uninstalled. To use these apps again, reinstall them.
- Even if you use reset the camera, all movies and photos are retained.
- If an error code beginning with C: or E: is displayed on the LCD screen of the camera, resetting may not resolve the issue.
For cameras with a Reset button:
- Locate the RESET button on the camera.
- Use a pointed object (like a ballpoint pen) to press and hold the RESET button for 2-3 seconds.
- After two to three seconds, release the RESET button.
For cameras with Initialize or Reset option(s) in the camera menus:
- The menu layout is different between cameras, so check the operating instructions.
- In general, there will be a Initialize or Reset section within the menus of the camera.
- Some cameras allow the resetting or initializing of different options such as wireless settings, the settings used in taking the last picture or all settings. Be sure to look at all available options in the product manual.
For cameras manufactured before the year 2000:
- Cameras manufactured before the year 2000 do not have a Reset button or the Initialize or Reset option(s) in the menu.
- For older cameras that have built-in battery, holding down the POWER button for up to 30 seconds may initialize or reset the camera.
- The following procedure is also known as manual reset.
- Power off the camera.
- Remove the battery pack.
- Remove the button-sized lithium battery.
- Allow the camera to remain without power for 30 seconds.
- Reinsert the button-sized lithium battery.
- Reinsert the battery pack.
- Power on the camera.
If your camera is experiencing an issue and it is not resolved by performing the appropriate reset or initialize procedure above, service may be required. Go to Product Repair.