The camera will not turn on
IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
Check if the issue is resolved after you perform each step. Check your device manual for model-specific information. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Check the condition of the battery.
- Make sure you're using fresh or fully-charged batteries.
- After putting in the battery, it may take a few minutes before the power turns on because the camera status is being checked. This is not a malfunction.
- If the battery charge has been depleted, try again after charging.
- Batteries discharge faster when used in cold weather conditions. We recommend charging the battery under the environment of 50°F to 86°F (10°C to 30°C) until the CHARGE lamp goes off. The battery pack may not charge properly in temperatures outside this range.
- It is recommended to use a Sony® battery and battery charger. The use of aftermarket products may cause a malfunction.
Note: Some counterfeit products may look very similar to original Sony rechargeable battery packs, but do not have protective devices that meet quality standards for high output and long-term use. The use of third-party products may lead to accidents or malfunctions involving fire, rupture and the like. Please note that Sony bears no responsibility whatsoever for accidents or malfunctions that occur due to counterfeit battery packs.
- Make sure that the battery terminals are clean.
If the CHARGE lamp doesn't light or blink while charging, the terminals may be dirty. Wipe the dust away with a dry cloth or cotton swab. Don't touch the terminals with your hands or metals.
The pictures below are a comparison of clean and dirty terminals.
- Make sure to insert the batteries in the correct orientation.
- Turn on the camera.
- If the camera still won't turn on, try to turn on the camera in Playback/Edit mode by moving the mode switch to the Playback/Edit mode or by pressing the Playback button.
- Switch the unit to Camera mode and attempt to turn on the camera.
- If the issue is not resolved, connect the AC power adapter to the camera and a working electrical outlet.
Skip this step if your camera doesn't support the use of an AC adapter.
- Connect the camera to a working USB port of a computer, then turn it on
If the camera battery charges while connected to the computer, the AC adapter may need to be replaced.
- Replace the batteries.
If the issue isn't resolved, service may be required.  Go to Product Repair.
If the camera turns on, but has a different issue, one of these articles may help: