If the camera turns off by itself, follow any of the troubleshooting steps below.
- Make sure that the battery has sufficient charge.
- Charge the battery if it has been without charge for a long time. The battery will gradually discharge by itself over a period of time, even if not used.
- Always use genuine Sony® batteries.
- Charge the battery several hours before inserting it in the camera.
- The camera may have a Power Save or Auto Power Off function to prevent wearing down the battery. If the Power Save setting is turned on, the camera will go off by itself. Check the Power Save setting on the camera menu. Power Save is released by pressing the Shutter button halfway. You can change the length of time before the camera enters Power Save mode.
NOTE: The setting name may differ depending on the model. For details, check the specifications or supplied operations guide.
- If the terminal section of a battery is dirty, the camera may not work properly. Wipe the terminal with a dry cloth or a cotton swab before trying to use it.
IMPORTANT: Do not touch the terminals with your hands or any metal objects.
- Try replacing the batteries.
- When using the camera in a cold environment, condensation may occur when the camera is moved to a warmer environment preventing the camera from operating normally. If you have used your camera outside, wait a few hours in a room temperature until the condensation has gone.
- When shooting movies or when taking pictures in Burst mode, the sensor temperature rises. When temperature reaches a certain level, the camera turns off automatically as a protective measure. This is normal operation. Let the camera cool down for a while.
- For some camera models, when the temperature of the camera becomes too high, a yellow (Overheating warning icon) appears on the LCD screen. In this case, turn off the camera and leave it for a while to let the temperature go down.
- If the camera has a touch-screen OLED and if operation is not performed for a certain period of time, the screen first becomes dark, and then after a while it turns off. This is to prevent the burning of images into the screen and is not a malfunction. Operate the camera by touching the screen to resume operation.
If the issue is still unresolved after trying the things mentioned in this solution, service may be required. Go to Product Repair.