VAIO® Computer Compatibility
These questions are applicable to DVD+RW discs recorded on the following DVD Handycam Models: DCR-DVD92, DVR-DVD103, DVR-DVD203, DVR-DVD403, DCR-DVD7.
1.1 Will 8cm DVD+RW discs recorded by the DVD Handycam® play on a VAIO computer?
- Only VAIO computers manufactured after April 2004 supports the playback of a DVD+RW 8cm disc. Please refer to Appendix A for a list of VAIO models that plays 8cm DVD+RW discs.
1.2 Why does the image recorded on a DVD+RW not play back in the wide aspect ratio (16:9) "letterbox" aspect ratio that it was recorded in?
- As of March 2005, there is no confirmed software that recognizes the wide aspect ratio (16:9) recorded on a DVD+RW disc.
1.3 Images recorded in wide aspect ratio (16:9) on DVD+RW media are not present in the correct aspect ratio when played back on my computer. What should I do?
- If you use WinDVD® or PowerDVD® preinstalled on VAIO® computers, you can display the images in wide aspect ratio (16:9) by changing the software settings. Please refer to your DVD playback software User Guide.
1.4 Can I play an 8cm DVD+RW disc on my VAIO computer if it is finalized?
- No, finalized 8cm DVD+RW discs will not play on VAIO computers.
1.5 My computer was purchased before April 2004 will Sony be providing an upgrade service so that my VAIO® computer can play back a DVD+RW 8cm disc?
- We have no plans to provide the upgrade. If you wish to play back a disc recorded by the new DVD Handycam on your VAIO®, we recommend using a DVD-RW or DVD-R 8cm disc.
1.6 I have already recorded on a DVD+RW 8cm disc. How can I play it back?
- Copy the contents of the 8 cm DVD+RW disc to a standard DVD-R/RW disc using Picture Package supplied with the DVD Handycam. For details about the Picture Package operation, please contact Pixela User Support Center.
- Pixela User Support Center:
- Web site: http://www.ppackage.com
1.7 Is image quality affected when the contents of a DVD+RW disc is copied to a DVD-RW disc using Picture Package?
- Images are transferred as digital data from a DVD+RW disc to the computer, so there is no deterioration in the image quality. No encoding or decoding occurs during the transfer process from a DVD+RW to the computer. Since Picture Package works with digital data, the image quality does not deteriorate during the transfer process.
1.8 What other Sony products can play 8cm DVD+RW discs?
- Standard 8cm DVD+RW discs recorded by the DVD Handycam® can be played back on Sony DVD players and/or recorders identified on the Compatibility list (attached as Appendix B).
1.9 Why does the VAIO peripheral PCGA-DDRW1, which was released before April 2004, support 8cm DVD+RW playback?
- Standard 8cm DVD+RW playback capability depends on the specifications of the adopted DVD drive. Among the products released before April 2004, the PCGA-DDRW1 is the only model that we have confirmed playback compatibility with 8cm DVD+RW discs.
1.10 Would there be any damage if you try to play back 8cm DVD+RW discs on VAIO Computers released before April 2004?
- There would be no damage to the disc or the product. The product would simply not play back the disc.
|VAIO Models that support playback of DVD+RW 8cm disc|
|Desktop systems||Notebook Systems|
|VGC-RA series||VGN-A series|
|VGC-RB series||VGN-S series|
|VGC-V series||VGN-T series|
|PCV-RS600 series||VGN-B Series|
|PCV-W700 series||VGN-FS series|
|PCV-V300 series||PCG-K2/3/4 series|
|*dependent on the external optical drive|
|Sony DVD Players|
|DVD Players + VHS Combo Model|
|Portable DVD Players|
|LCD Portable DVD Players|
|LCD Portable DVD Players|
|DVD Recorders + VHS Combo Model|