How to troubleshoot a portable player that is not functioning properly, battery not lasting or does not turn on or off.
Follow this procedure if you experience any of these symptoms with your portable player:
- The battery does not hold a charge.
- The display on the portable player is blank.
- The portable player does not turn on and has no power.
- The portable player does not turn off.
- The portable player turns on, and then turns off immediately.
- The portable player appears to be frozen with Every Moment Has its Music on the display.
IMPORTANT: If model-specific information is required to complete any of the steps in this solution, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the product. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
NOTE: Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the unit after completing each step.
- Make sure that you are pressing the POWER button to turn the player on. Previous Walkman models that did not have a power button would turn on by pressing any button. This model must have the power button pressed to turn it on.
- Ensure that the HOLD function is not activated.
NOTE: For some models, when you use the portable player for the first time, if you have not used it for a long time, or the battery is depleted, it may take up to 5 minutes for it to be recognized or start charging. On models with a display, the display will remain blank. If the portable player is not recognized or does not begin to charge after waiting 5 minutes, continue with this procedure to reset the unit.
- If the portable player is still not responding, reset it by pressing the RESET button with a small pin or similar object.
NOTE: When the RESET button is pressed, although the unit will retain the music data and clock settings, all other stored data and settings may be deleted. If the unit starts up after the reset, access the Settings menu and initialize the unit using the Format (initialize) function.
If there was no change after the player was reset, connect it to the computer and reset it again, leaving it connected.
- Check the Sony® Support Web site to see if there are any available firmware updates for your model. Updates can be found on the Sony Support Web Site.
- Confirm that the portable player is connected to a working USB port and that it is charging. If necessary, connect it to a different port. When connected properly, the battery icon will be animated or it will indicate the charge status such as FULL when charging is completed.
If possible, instead of connecting the USB cable to the computer, connect it to a USB AC adapter (if available) and try to charge it.
IMPORTANT: If you charge via a USB connection and leave your Walkman® Player connected to the computer to charge and the computer goes into sleep or hibernation, charging will stop. If left connected, your battery may begin to discharge. To avoid this, turn off any sleep or hibernation settings while charging or set your sleep or hibernation settings to come on after your Walkman Player has been charged. Disconnect it from the computer once charging has completed.
For more information on the built-in battery, see the FAQ below: