IMPORTANT: This file is only for use with the models identified. Not all models are sold in all countries.
This information is for the following models:
About this download
Benefits and improvements
This utility updates the lens system software to version 03 and provides the following changes and benefits:
Note: The lens must be attached to a camera to perform this update. The NEX-5, NEX-3, NEX-C3, NEX-VG10, and PXW-FS7 model cameras cannot be used.
Improvements over version 02:
- Improves stability of the autofocus feature
Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version 03:
- Adds support for the Quick starting function
- Mac OS® X
- 1.75 MB
Before You Start
Check the version of your camera lens System Software:
- Attach the lens to the camera. Note: Please make sure the camera is off before you attach the lens.
- Power on the camera.
- Press the Menu button.
- At the Menu screen, select Setup.
- At the Setup screen, select Version.
- The System Software version is displayed on the LCD screen. Note: If the current System Software version is Ver.02 or higher, the camera lens doesn't need this update.
Before You Start
- This System Software update can be performed only when the lens is attached to a camera. Don't install this update with any other model.
- WARNING! This System Software update and any changes incurred by it are permanent. It's not possible to return to a previous version after updating this System Software. By continuing this update process and downloading and updating this System Software, you acknowledge that you are aware and understand that this update can't be reversed.
- This update process requires the following items for proper updating:
- A computer with:
- CPU: Intel® processor Note: Core™ Solo and Core Duo processors are not supported.
- Available Hard Disk Space: 200 MB or more
- Installed Memory (RAM): 512 MB or more
- A USB port.
- Apple® Mac OS X® version 10.10 - 10.13
IMPORTANT: For OS X version 10.10 or 10.11, please make sure the Mac OS X Driver Loader has been installed before continuing to update your firmware.
IMPORTANT: For computers running Mac OS X version 10.13, the DriverLoader_1013 software must be installed before installing the camera software update for each camera that's being updated.
IMPORTANT: For computers running macOS 11, the System Software Update Helper software must be installed before installing the camera software update for each camera that's being updated.
- CPU: Intel® processor
- A compatible E-mount camera (NEX-5, NEX-3, NEX-C3, NEX-VG10, and PXW-FS7 model cameras are not compatible). Note: Camera models NEX-5R and NEX-6 require firmware version 1.01 or higher, for the latest camera firmware information, please visit the NEX-5R or NEX-6 support page.
- A USB cable: Use only the USB cable supplied with the camera. Note: Update functionality isn't guaranteed with any other USB cable.
- A computer with:
- This update can only be performed when the remaining battery level has three bars or more. It's recommended that you use a fully charged NP-FW50 rechargeable battery pack, or the AC-PW20 AC adapter/charger (sold separately).
- WARNING! Don't remove the battery pack or AC adapter during the update process, otherwise, the camera may become inoperable due to the sudden power loss.
- To keep other programs from interfering with the installation, save all work and close all other programs before proceeding.
Download & Install
- Download the Update_SEL50F18FV3D.dmg file to a directory on your computer, and make note of this directory for reference.
- Go to the directory where the file was downloaded and double-click the Update_SEL70200GMV2D.exe file to begin the Lens System Software Updater.
- At the Password prompt screen, enter the Name and Password for the administrative account, and then click OK.
- Remove the memory card from the camera
- Make sure the lens is attached the camera. Note: Make sure the camera is off before you attach the lens.
- Power on the camera. Note: If the camera has already been powered on, power it off and then back on again.
- On the camera, press the Menu button, select Setup, and then USB Connection and make sure Mass Storage is selected (this step isn't necessary if you are using a QX series camera).
- Connect the camera to your computer using the supplied USB cable.
- On the computer, the Lens System Software Updater window appears, and on the camera, the screen displays the message Follow computer instructions. Notes:
- If the message The update isn't available for your model appears on the screen, make sure the System Software update is the correct file for the lens you have attached. If the file is correct for the lens, close the Firmware Updater program, disconnect the USB cable, power off the camera, restart the Lens System Software Updater program, and then continue the procedure.
- If the message Could not find the camera with the lens for this update mounted appears on the screen, make sure you are using a a camera with the Fast Hybrid AF function, try disconnecting and reconnection the USB cable, and try another USB port on the computer.
- At the Lens System Software Updater window, click Next. WARNING! Don't power off the camera or disconnect the USB cable until the update process is complete.
- When the following screen is displayed, check the version number at the lower left. Note: If the current version is Ver.02, your camera lens doesn't need this update. Stop the USB connection, click the Finish button on the Lens System Software Updater screen, power off the camera, briefly remove the battery pack or the AC adaptor, and then power on the camera again.
- If the current version is Ver.01, click Next.
- The lens system software transfer will start and a progress bar will be displayed showing the data transfer. Note: This part of the process takes about five minutes to complete.
- When the data transfer is complete, the following screen is displayed, click Finish.
- The update process starts and the progress bar is displayed on the camera screen.
- The update process is finished when the Lens update complete message is displayed on the camera screen.
- Stop the USB connection, disconnect the USB cable, power off the camera, and then remove the battery pack or AC adapter.
- Reconnect the battery pack or AC adapter and power on the camera.
- Check the current firmware version to confirm that the update has successfully installed.
- If the version is Ver.02, the firmware update was successful.
- If the version is not Ver.02, download and install the update again.