IMPORTANT: This file is only for use with the models identified. Not all models are sold in all countries.
This information is for the following models:
About this download
Benefits and improvements
This update (version 05) improves the accuracy of the contrast AF at distant shooting, making it easier to focus when the aperture is narrowed down to F11 or higher.
- Windows® 10
- Windows® 10 64-bit
- Windows® 7
- Windows® 7 64-bit
- Windows® 8.1
- Windows® 8.1 64-bit
- 4.80 MB
Before You Start
Check the version of your camera lens System Software:
- Attach the lens to the camera. Note: Please make sure the camera is off before you attach the lens.
- Turn on the camera.
- Press the Menu button.
- At the Menu screen, select Setup.
- At the Setup screen, select Version.
- The System Software version is displayed on the LCD screen. Note: If the current lens system software version is Ver.05 or higher, the camera lens doesn't need this update.
Before You Start
- This system software update can be performed only when the lens is attached to a camera. Don't install this update with any other model.
- WARNING! This system software update and any changes incurred by it are permanent. It's not possible to return to a previous version after updating this system software. By continuing this update process and downloading and updating this system software, you acknowledge that you are aware and understand that this update can't be reversed.
- This update process requires the following items for proper updating:
- A computer with:
- Available Hard Disk Space: 200 MB or more
- Installed Memory (RAM): 512 MB or more
- A USB port.
- One of the following operating systems installed:
- Microsoft® Windows® 10
- Microsoft® Windows® 8.1
- Microsoft® Windows® 7 (with Service Pack 1)
- A compatible E-mount camera (NEX-5, NEX-3, NEX-C3, NEX-VG10, and PXW-FS7 model cameras are not compatible).
- A USB cable: Use only the USB cable supplied with the camera. Note: Update functionality isn't guaranteed with any other USB cable.
- A computer with:
- This update can only be performed when the remaining battery level has three bars or more. It's recommended that you use a fully charged battery pack, or an AC adapter (when available).
- WARNING! Don't remove the battery pack or AC adapter during the update process, otherwise, the camera may become inoperable due to the sudden power loss.
- Save all work and close all other programs.
Download & Install
- Download the Update_SEL70200GMV5D.exe file to a directory on your computer, and make note of this directory for reference.
- Go to the directory where the file was downloaded and double-click the Update_SEL70200GMV5D.exe file to begin the Lens System Software Updater.
- Remove the memory card from the camera
- Make sure the lens is attached the camera. Note: Make sure the camera is off before you attach the lens.
- Turn on the camera. Note: If the camera has already been turned on, turn it off and then back on again.
- On the camera, press the Menu button, select Setup, and then USB Connection and make sure Mass Storage is selected (this step isn't necessary if you are using a QX series camera).
- Connect the camera to your computer using the supplied USB cable. Note: If an error message appears on the computer display, disconnect and reconnect the USB cable or try another USB port on the computer.
- Verify that the remove hardware icon or is displayed in the task tray at the lower right-hand corner of the computer screen.
- At the Lens System Software Updater screen, click Next. WARNING! Don't turn off the camera or disconnect the USB cable until the update process is complete.
- The computer displays the Lens System Software Updater screen, and on the camera, the screen displays the message Follow computer instructions. Notes:
- If the message The update isn't available for your model appears on the screen, make sure the System Software update is the correct file for the lens you have attached. If the file is correct for the lens, close the Lens System Software Updater program, disconnect the USB cable, turn off the camera, restart the Lens System Software Updater program, and then continue the procedure.
- If the message Could not find the camera with the lens for this update mounted appears on the screen, make sure you are using a a camera with the Fast Hybrid AF function, try disconnecting and reconnection the USB cable, and try another USB port on the computer.
- When the following screen is displayed, check the version number at the lower left. Note: If the current version is Ver.05, your camera lens doesn't need this update. Stop the USB connection by clicking the remove hardware icon or in the task tray in the lower right corner of the computer screen, click the Finish button on the Lens System Software Updater screen, then turn off the camera, briefly remove the battery pack or the AC adaptor, and then turn on the camera again.
- If the current version is Ver.04 or lower, click Next.
- The lens system software transfer will start and a progress bar will be displayed showing the data transfer (approximately 5 seconds).
- When the data transfer is complete and the following screen is displayed, click Finish.
- The lens update process starts and the progress bar is displayed on the camera screen (approximately 30 seconds).
- The update process is finished when the Lens update complete message is displayed on the camera screen. If you are using the QX series, the update process is finished when the message on the screen of QX series disappears.
- Stop the USB connection by clicking the remove hardware icon or in the task tray in the lower right corner of the computer screen.
- Stop the USB connection and then disconnect the USB cable.
- Turn off the camera and remove the battery pack or AC adapter. Then reconnect the battery pack or AC adapter and turn the camera on again.
- Check the current firmware version to confirm that the update has successfully installed.
- If the version is Ver.05, the firmware update was successful.
- If the version is not Ver.05, download and install the update again.