The DVD player is not displaying a picture on the TV screen.
IMPORTANT: Poor picture quality on a High-Definition Television (HDTV) may be related to the type of signal being received; click here for further information.
- Ensure the DVD player is not connected to a VCR; due to copyright protection, the picture will not playback properly through a VCR.
- Ensure the video cable between the DVD player and TV is securely connected to both devices.
NOTE: For best picture quality, use an HDMI, DVI, Component Video, or S-Video cable if both the TV and DVD player have one of these connection types.
- Play a different DVD to determine whether or not the problem is being caused by the disc itself.
NOTE: If the issue only occurs with the first DVD, then the disc may have dust, fingerprints or scratches.
- Ensure the TV and DVD player are set to utilize the same type of video signal, either progressive or interlaced .
IMPORTANT: Some televisions may not be able to display a progressive signal. If not, the DVD player should be set to output an interlaced signal. You may need to refer to the instruction manual of your DVD player for specific details about changing from progressive to interlaced scan. If you have a Sony DVD player, depending on the model, you may be able to change the output setting to interlaced by doing one of the following:
- pressing the PROGRESSIVE button on the front of the DVD player or P.SCAN button on the remote control to disable the progressive signal.
- power off the DVD player and press 369 using the number buttons on the remote control, then power back on the DVD player.
- moving the VIDEO OUT switch on the back of the DVD player to the INTERLACED position.
- pressing and holding the PAUSE button on the front of the DVD player for 5 seconds.
- Try replacing the video cable between the DVD player and TV.
If it is determined that the TV requires service, the Sony® eService Web site at http://eservice.sony.com/ can assist you in obtaining service from a Sony Service Center or locating a Sony Authorized Servicer.