Follow these steps to troubleshoot why the notebook keyboard is not working properly.
- For the SVT112 Series computers, make sure that the wireless keyboard is properly paired with the computer before continuing with the steps below.
- Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check to see if the keyboard works after completing each step.
- Download and install all available updates before doing any of the steps below. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- If you are using a third-party keyboard, refer to the keyboard documentation or the manufacturer's website for information regarding how to properly connect and use the keyboard.
- If model-specific information is required to complete any of the steps in this solution, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the product. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Ensure that there are no debris between the keys or nothing has been spilled onto the keyboard.
NOTE: If there are excessive debris between the keys or something has accidentally been spilled onto the keyboard, then service may be required to ensure that the keyboard and computer have not been damaged. Go to Product Repair.
- Turn off the computer, disconnect all external mouse devices, keyboards, USB devices, and the port replicator or docking station, and then restart the computer.
- If only some of the keyboard keys do not work, try any of the applicable step below.
- If it is only the function keys or hot keys that are not working, there may be applications that need to be updated .
- Verify that the NUM LOCK (NUM LK) feature of the keyboard is turned off .
- Remove all the Ease of Access or Accessibility options for the keyboard .
- Remove and reinstall the keyboard from the Device Manager.
- Reset the BIOS defaults .
NOTE: If the keyboard does not work in the BIOS, the issue is likely a failed keyboard and service may be required. Go to Product Repair.
- Perform a System Restore to restore the computer to an earlier time.
If you have completed all of the steps above and the issue is not resolved, service may be required. Go to Product Repair.