IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
Follow these steps to perform a system recovery using the VAIO Recovery Wizard.
- Before performing a recovery, look online for software and driver updates, or check for knowledge base solutions that may help you solve your computer's issue. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- This model does not require Recovery CDs. Recovery data is included on a special partition of the hard drive.
- Do not interrupt the power during the recovery process.
- Before performing a recovery, disconnect any external devices not supplied with the computer such as printers, network cables, cameras, or external storage devices, like hard drives or flash drives.
NOTE: A recovery can also be performed using Recovery Discs.
- On the taskbar, click the Start button, point to All Programs, point to VAIO Recovery, then click the VAIO Recovery icon.
- If there is no shortcut for the VAIO Recovery Wizard in the program list, start the program from Control Panel.
- If the operating system will not start and no other troubleshooting can be performed, a recovery of the (C:) drive can be performed by starting the computer and pressing the F10 key.
- In the VAIO Recovery window, click to select the appropriate option to use the VAIO Recovery Wizard:
- Create Recovery Discs
- Restore Windows® Operating System Only
- Reinstall Applications or Drivers
- Restore C: Drive
- Restore Complete System
- Reconfigure RAID
- It is strongly recommended that a Recovery Media Kit be created to help restore files if the operating system will not start. Recovery discs are bootable and can be used to perform a recovery on a properly functioning hard drive.
- Use the Restore Windows® Only option to restore the operating system to a previously working configuration without deleting personal data files, such as documents, pictures, e-mail, and Internet favorites.
- One or more drivers or factory-installed applications may be reinstalled with the Reinstall Applications or Drivers option.
- The entire (C:) drive can be restored to its original, factory-installed condition by selecting Restore C: Drive.
- Choosing Restore Complete System will restore the entire (C:) drive, while removing or restoring the Recovery Drive partition. This option requires you to insert the Recovery CDs or DVDs from the Recovery Media Kit.
- RAID options can be modified by selecting Reconfigure RAID. This option is not available on all models, and requires you to insert the Recovery CDs or DVDs from the Recovery Media Kit.