IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
If the operating system will not boot and no other troubleshooting can be performed, a recovery of the (C:) drive can be performed by starting the computer and pressing the F10 key.
WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. All software applications, configurations and data added to the restored drive will be erased.
- Before performing a recovery, go to eSupport website, download and install all available software and driver updates, or check for knowledge base solutions that may help you solve your computer's issue. &
- This model does not require recovery discs, though they can be created using recovery data included on a special partition of the hard drive.
- Do not interrupt the power during the recovery process.
Sony Electronics is no longer permitted to sell system recovery media for VAIO PCs that shipped with operating systems released prior to Windows 7. If you have not created a set of Recovery Media, or if the Recovery Media has been lost or misplaced, begin the procedure to send your Sony computer into a Sony facility so that they can provide repair and recovery options.
NOTE: A recovery also can be performed using recovery discs .
- Close all open programs and turn off the computer.
- Disconnect all network connections.
- Disconnect all peripheral devices.
- Turn on the computer.
- When the VAIO screen is displayed, press the F10 key.
NOTE: If an Edit Boot Options window is displayed, press the ENTER key to continue.
- In the VAIO Recovery Center window, under Choose a recovery tool, click to select the desired option:
- Restore C: Drive
- Restore Complete System
- The entire (C:) drive can be restored to its original, factory-installed condition by selecting Restore C: Drive.
- The Restore Complete System option will delete all partitions and any data saved on those partitions and restores the (C:) drive to its original, factory-installed condition. This option allows changing the size of the (C:) drive.