If the operating system will not start and no other troubleshooting can be performed, a recovery of the (C:) drive can be performed by starting the computer and pressing the F8 key.
WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. All software applications, configurations and data added to the restored drive will be erased.
- If possible, before performing a recovery, go to the Sony® eSupport Web site and check your model-specific support page. Look for software and driver updates or check for knowledge base solutions that may help you solve your computer's issue.
- This model does not require recovery discs, though they can be created using recovery data included on a special partition of the hard drive.
- Do not interrupt the power during the recovery process.
NOTE: A recovery also can be performed using recovery discs .
- Close all open programs and turn off the computer.
- Disconnect all network connections.
- Disconnect all peripheral devices.
- Turn on the computer.
- When the VAIO screen is displayed, press the F8 key.
- At the Advanced Boot Options screen, ensure Repair Your Computer is selected and press the ENTER key.
- In the System Recovery Options window, under Select a keyboard layout:, click the Next button.
- Under To access recovery options, next to User name:, click the down arrow, and click to select an account with Administrator rights.
- Next to Password:, type the appropriate password for this account.
- Click the OK button.
- Under Choose a recovery tool, click to select the desired option:
- Startup Repair
- System Restore
- Windows Complete PC Restore
- Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
- Command Prompt
- VAIO Recovery Center
- The Startup Repair option can automatically resolve certain issues that can prevent the operating system from starting.
- System Restore can return the computer to a previous configuration of the operating system when it was working properly.
- Windows Complete PC Restore will restore a previous backup of the computer created using the Windows Backup and Restore Center .
- The Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool can determine if any problems being experienced are caused by issues with the computer's memory.
- The option to open a Command Prompt can be used by advanced users and technical support personnel to perform troubleshooting on the hard drive or the operating system.
- Clicking VAIO Recovery Center will launch VAIO Recovery Center from the Recovery Disc.