How to perform a system recovery using Recovery Discs.
The Recovery Discs can be used to restore the entire (C:) drive, remove or restore the Recovery Drive partition, change the size and number of the hard disk partitions, perform diagnostics on the computer hardware, and rescue important data that may still be saved from the hard drive if a system recovery needs to be performed. Follow this procedure to perform a system recovery using Recovery Discs.
- This model is not supplied with Recovery CDs. Recovery data is loaded from Recovery Discs created on the computer before the recovery and saved to a special partition of the hard drive. Most recovery functions can be performed from within the operating system using the VAIO® Recovery Center.
- Sony provides a way to create Recovery Media on most computers. Instructions can be found in your product manual. Manuals, Specifications and Warranty information for your Sony product is available online. Sony Electronics is no longer permitted to sell system recovery media for VAIO PCs that shipped with operating systems released prior to Windows 7. If your computer shipped with any operating system released prior to the Windows 7 operating system, send your Sony computer into a Sony facility so that they can provide repair and recovery options.
- Before performing a recovery, go to the Sony® eSupport Web site and look for software and driver updates or check for knowledge base solutions that may help you solve your computer issue. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- Do not interrupt the power during the recovery process. Notebook computers must be connected to the AC adapter.
- Customers who purchased the Symantec® Norton Internet Security® 2007 software from the SonyStyle® store with their computer must create a Norton Account to save their product key prior to a system recovery or the software cannot be reinstalled.
- If the computer uses an external CD/DVD drive, plug in the drive according to the instructions in the VAIO User Guide. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- If an external drive is necessary, some third-party external USB optical drives may not work when attempting to start the computer using the Recovery Discs. Sony recommends the optional i.LINK® CD/DVD drives specifically designed as an accessory for your model and available for purchase from the Sony Store.
Please contact a local or online authorized retailer to purchase a Sony product.
For customers in Canada: https://dealerlocator.sony.ca/locator/init.do
- Turn on the computer.
- Insert Recovery Disc #1 into the DVD drive.
- Turn off the computer.
- Turn on the computer.
- In the System Recovery Options window, under Select a keyboard layout:, click the Next button.
- Under Select an operating system to repair, click the Next button.
- Under Choose a recovery tool, click to select the desired option:
- Startup Repair
- System Restore
- Windows Complete PC Restore
- Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
- Command Prompt
- VAIO Recovery Center
- The Startup Repair option can automatically resolve certain issues that can prevent the operating system from starting.
- System Restore can return the computer to a previous configuration of the operating system when it was working properly.
- Windows Complete PC Restore will restore a previous backup of the computer created using the Windows Backup and Restore Center .
- The Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool can determine if any problems being experienced are caused by issues with the computer's memory.
- The option to open a Command Prompt can be used by advanced users and technical support personnel to perform troubleshooting on the hard drive or the operating system.
- Clicking VAIO Recovery Center will launch VAIO Recovery Center from the Recovery Disc.