How to add or remove the Ease of Access options for the keyboard, such as Sticky Keys, Filter Keys and Toggle Keys.
Follow this procedure to add or remove the Sticky Keys, Filter Keys or Toggle Keys options for the keyboard.
IMPORTANT: By default, the Sticky Keys, Filter Keys and Toggle Keys keyboard Ease of Access options are not turned on.
- Sticky Keys: An accessibility feature designed for people who have difficulty holding down two or more keys at a time. When a shortcut requires a key combination such as CTRL+F, the Sticky Keys feature will enable the user to press one key at a time instead of pressing them simultaneously.
- Filter Keys: An accessibility option that adjusts the keyboard response so that inadvertently repeated keystrokes are ignored. Using the Filter Keys feature, the user can also slow the rate at which a key repeats when held down.
- Toggle Keys: An accessibility feature designed for people who have vision impairment or cognitive disabilities. When the Toggle Keys feature is turned on, the computer will provide sound cues when the locking keys (CAPS LOCK, NUM LOCK, or SCROLL LOCK) are pressed. A high sound plays when the keys are switched on and a low sound plays when they are switched off.
- Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel window, click Ease of Access.
- In the Ease of Access window, under Ease of Access Center, click Change how your keyboard works.
- In the Make the keyboard easier to use window, in the Make it easier to type section, click to check the box next to Turn on Sticky Keys, Turn on Filter Keys or Turn on Toggle Keys to enable those options, or remove the check next to those options to disable them.
IMPORTANT: There are other keyboard, mouse and touchpad options available in this window. It is recommended that only one option be changed at a time so that you can see the effect that each change will have on the computer operations.
- Once you have changed the desired option, click the OK button.
- In the Ease of Access Center window, click the X in the upper-right corner to close the window.