How should interchangeable lens cameras be stored?
When dust gets inside the lens of an interchangeable lens camera or fungus grows on the lens due to high humidity levels, it is not easy to remove. The following is an explanation of how to optimally store your interchangeable lens camera to prevent issues like fungal growth and dust contamination.
Before storing cameras and lenses, it is recommended that you remove dust with a brush or blower and use a soft cloth to wipe off any dirt, fingerprints or grease.
For more information on how to clean lenses, refer to this article on How to clean dust, dirt, spots, marks or fingerprints from the front of the camera lens .
Storing cameras in a specially sealed dry box protects them from dust and humidity. Before you purchase such a container, it is recommended that you line up the cameras and lenses that you want to store to determine how large of a size you will need.
- Dry boxes: A dry box is an airtight, watertight cabinet for storing cameras. Using a dry box lets you maintain a stable level of humidity at all times. There are many different types, including some that come with a backup plug, some that are lockable and some that electronically control humidity.
- Simple dry boxes: A simple dry box is an easy storage method that consists of an airtight plastic container inside which a desiccant is placed. Simple dry boxes are available in a variety of overall sizes, heights, widths, and depths. Choose one that is sized appropriately for the cameras or lenses that you want to store.
- Camera body and lens: If you have a body cap and a lens rear cap, detach the lens before storage. If not, store the camera body with the lens attached.
- Body cap
- Lens rear cap
- Body cap
- Battery pack: Remove the battery from the camera body before storage.
- Desiccant: When using a simple dry box, place a desiccant inside.
- Hygrometer: If using a dry box that does not come with a hygrometer, place a hygrometer inside so that you can control the humidity. An optimal humidity level is one between about 40% and 50%.