IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
The Xperia Transfer 2 app can be used to transfer the data and content from your old iPhone® or Android™ smartphone to your new Xperia®.
- The Xperia Transfer 2 app isn't compatible at all with the older Xperia Transfer Mobile app. If your old Xperia phone has the Xperia Transfer Mobile app, you will need to download and install the Xperia Transfer 2 app in your old Xperia phone.Note: The Xperia Transfer 2 app requires the Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) OS, or higher.
- The Xperia Transfer 2 app can't transfer data from within apps, such as point data in game apps. Depending on the app or service, you may be able to get that type data from your account by registering again the account on your new Xperia. For more information, please contact the developer's support of each app or service.
- Do not attempt to add, revise, or delete any data while a data transfer procedure is in progress.
- Make sure the batteries on both your new and old smartphones have at least 50% charge before you start the data transfer procedure.
Transfer data from your old Xperia phone
- Your old Xperia phone requires the Android 6.0 or higher.
- The Xperia Transfer 2 app can transfer data or content stored in your old Xperia phone. It can't transfer data or content stored in the SD memory card or in a cloud service location.
- Depending on the model of your old phone, you may not be able to transfer some data due to the structure or restrictions of the applications.
- Before you start, in your new Xperia phone, use the Google Play store to update the Xperia Transfer 2 app to the latest version available.
- To transfer Message data, you will need to temporarily set the Xperia Transfer 2 app as default SMS application on your new Xperia before you start transferring.
- To temporarily set the Xperia Transfer 2 app as default SMS application on your new Xperia.
- Find and tap Settings → Apps & notifications → Default apps → SMS app
- Set Xperia Transfer 2 as default SMS application.
Transfer by cable connection
- When transferring by a cable connection, a Bluetooth connection is still needed in order to manage the data transferring process. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up the Bluetooth connection.
- If you use a USB adapter to convert from type-A to Type-C, please connect it with your new Xperia phone.
Transfer by wireless connection
- Make sure Wi-Fi is enable on both your old phone and the new Xperia phone.
- You will need to enable Location in order to use the Wi-Fi Direct® function on your Android 9 (Pie) or later smartphone.