The device isn't detected by the computer when it's connected using a USB cable
If your device gets exposed to water, ensure that the USB port is completely dry before inserting a USB cable.
The following steps may differ between Android versions. To learn which Android™ version your device has, find and tap Settings → About phone → Android version. If you do not see About phone under Settings, tap System.
- Make sure that the screen of your device is unlocked, and that your device is set to transfer data.
To set your device to transfer data (Android 11/Android 10/Android 9)
To set your device to transfer data (Android 8)
- Make sure that you are using an original Sony USB cable specifically intended for your device and that it is properly connected to the device and computer.
- Try using another USB port on your computer and make sure that the device is connected directly to that USB port. Do not use a USB hub or a USB extension cable.
- Try using a different USB cable to make sure that the cable isn't damaged.
- If you are using a Mac, make sure that Xperia Companion for macOS™ is installed on your computer. Mac computers don't support MTP, which is an extension needed for file transfer between a computer and an Android device.
- Disconnect your device from the computer and clear the data in the Media Storage system app on your device. Restart your device and connect it to the computer.
To clear Media Storage application data (Android 11/Android 10)
To clear Media Storage application data (Android 9)
To clear Media Storage application data (Android 8)
- If your device has a memory card, turn off the device and then remove and reinsert the memory card. Restart your computer. Turn on the device and then reconnect the device to the computer using the USB cable.
- Restart the device and the computer.
- Try using a different computer.
- If you are using Windows N or Windows KN, make sure that you have downloaded the Media Feature Pack to enable file transfer. These versions of Windows don't support MTP file transfer.
- Update your device to make sure that you have optimal performance and the latest enhancements.