When the function keys, F5 and F6, which allow you to adjust the LCD brightness, do not work after upgrading to the Windows® 7 operating system. follow the procedure below to resolve the issue.
- Follow the installation instructions precisely as listed on each driver Web page, including restarting and shutting down the computer when required.
- All of the following drivers may not be available for all models and all versions of the Windows 7 operating system.
- Though we cannot guarantee the functionality of any drivers on any installed retail version of the operating system, if Windows 7 drivers are not available you can try using the available Windows Vista® drivers.
- Download and install the following updates, in the order listed, from the Sony® eSupport Web site.
Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- BIOS Update
- BIOS Update Utility
- NVIDIA® Graphics Driver Uninstaller
- NVIDIA GeForce® 9300M GS Video Driver Update
- Verify the VAIO® Event Service is started and set to automatic .
NOTE: If you have completed all of the steps above and the function keys still do not adjust the brightness, you can manually adjust the brightness using the power settings by following the steps below:
- In the System Tray, right-click the Power icon, and then click Adjust screen brightness.
- In the Power Options window, at the very bottom of the window, click to move the Screen brightness slider to the desired level.
- Once you have the brightness at the desired level, click the X in the upper-right corner to close the window.