- Close all open programs.
- Click the Start button, click All Programs, click the VAIO Care folder and then click VAIO Care.
NOTE: If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password, or click Yes.
- In the VAIO Care window, click Advanced Tools.
- In the Advanced Tools window, click Restore and Recovery.
- In the Restore and Recovery window, click Recover computer.
- At the VAIO Care confirmation prompt, click the Yes button.
NOTE: The computer will restart.
- In the VAIO Care Rescue window, click Start recovery wizard.
- In the Do you need to rescue your data? window, click Yes, I'd like to rescue my data.
NOTE: If you do not have any data on your computer that you need to back up, click the Skip Rescue button and proceed to step x.
- Connect an external storage device to the computer, such as a USB hard drive or flash drive.
- In the Select Rescue type window, click the desired Rescue option.
- If you would like to manually select files to back up, click Custom Rescue and then follow the on-screen instructions.
- The Custom Rescue option allows you to manually select the user folders to be rescued whereas the Easy Rescue option backs up the entire hard drive content and will therefore require more storage space and time to complete the backup.
- If you are in doubt as to which option to use, it is recommended that you select the Easy Rescue option.
- The software will automatically detect your data.
- Click to select the drive where you would like to back up your data, and then click the Next button.
- This screen displays the amount of disc space required and the amount of free space on the external drive.
- If the desired drive is not listed, make sure it is properly connected to the computer and, if applicable, to a power supply. If it is still not detected, check the manual or support website for the drive to determine if you will need to install new drivers.
- In the Confirm options and start rescue window, click the Start Rescue button.
NOTE: A progress window will show the status of the backup.
- In the Rescue has completed successfully window, click Proceed with recovery.
- In the Are you sure you want to start recovery? window, click to select Yes, I'm sure and then click the Start Recovery button.
IMPORTANT: A status window will be displayed indicating the recovery progress of the different applications. No action is required. This process may take up to 2 hours and the computer may restart several times.
- In the Recovery complete window, click the Restart button.
NOTE: The computer will restart to complete the Recovery process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to set up the operating system and complete the system recovery.